Author Topic: Feta #2  (Read 2061 times)

Smurfmacaw

Feta #2
« on: July 13, 2013, 03:25:33 AM »
Second attempt at feta.

2 gallons fresh goats milk (nubian)
MT-1 mother culture (1/2 cup)
20 drops single strength rennet (diluted)

Heated milk to 87 degrees.  Added mother culture.  Starting pH was 6.87 (yeah, my exstick 100 blows)  ripened 20 minutes until pH 6.77. Added rennet.  Floc at 10 min. Fresh milk makes a big difference!  That was significantly less than I usually use.  40 minutes then cut into 1/2 inch cubes over 10 min.  Added a little heat until 90 degrees.  Stirred 30 minutes.  Drained and put in baskets.  Got three cheeses.

Notes - Fresh milk makes a big difference.  I"ve never used really fresh raw goats milk before (finally found a place I can get reliably sanitary and really fresh (todays) milk for a reasonable price.

Here is one of the cheeses I ended up with.

pH is rapidly dropping as it drains.  At 5.2 now.  should be at 4.2 to 4.6 tomorrow.

Smurfmacaw

Re: Feta #2
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 05:12:37 PM »
I glad it didn't go to 4.2 (got to read the instructions a little closer).  Actually it was kind of cool last night so it hasn't quite made it to 4.8 yet.  According to my semi-wonky ExStick 100 it's sitting about 4.9.  I figure by this afternoon it should be ready for the brine.  So far it looks good.  Can't wait to get a better pH meter.

JeffHamm

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 05:49:48 AM »
Nice looking feta!  When you brine it, if you are using water, make sure you add some CaCL2 and some vinegar to balance the calcium and acidity.  Otherwise, if you are storing it in whey brine from your make, it should already be balanced for your cheese.  A cheese to you!

- Jeff

Smurfmacaw

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 11:40:49 PM »
I have a saturated brine made up that I use that already has the calcium adjusted so it doesn't leach it out of the cheese.  I'm using that to do the initial brining and then I've got leftover whey that I'll make an 8% brine to store it for a week or two to age a bit.  Then I think I'm going to get some snap top pickling jars and store it under olive oil with herbs to make a nice set of gift packages and eating for the family.....we love pita, olives and feta.  I think I'll try a 50/50 mixture of EVOO and light olive oil......I might try one in walnut oil also just to see what happens.

Tasting wise, this one is exactly what I was looking for...more crumbly and a little drier.  My last make was pretty soft and moist....probably hit the Bulgarian standard on the nose but that is not what we like.  I am also lowering the saturation of the storage brine to 6% just so it isn't too salty.  Also it's only going to spend a week or two in the brine before it goes into the oil.

Spellogue

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 06:21:36 AM »
I notice a lot of folks plan to move their feta to oil after a stint in brine.  Is there a limit to how long one should store/age feta in a ph balanced brine?  And if so, for what reason?  I'm gearing up for a feta make and really didn't want to move it to oil at all unless necessary.  I'm wondering how soon I should plan to consume the cheese directly from a whey brine.  Is longer storage, say 6 months, an option in brine?

Smurfmacaw

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 03:19:11 AM »
I'm pretty new at making cheese so am not sure how long it lasts in whey other than what I've read on the subject.  Seems like the stronger the brine the longer the shelf life.  I'm doing the oil routine more because it looks cool than anything else.  I've got it in 5% whey brine now and will let it stay there for a week or so until I get around to getting some cool canning jars with snap tops I saw at the store the other day.  I wanted this one to be more crumbly than the last one I made so I cooked it a little longer and stirred a little more.  I'm pretty happy with the way it came out.  I'll see how it is once I let it age a little longer.  Here it is in the whey brine.