Author Topic: anyone mill flour???  (Read 7053 times)

goat lady

anyone mill flour???
« on: February 27, 2009, 03:55:51 PM »
We grow oats and winter wheat combine and make feed I can find flour mills every where but no way to husk grain to mill it very frustrating
any suggestions

wharris

Re: anyone mill flour???
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 08:51:45 PM »
Its simple!:

lol
I'm just kidding,  looks like a lot of hard work.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 11:42:36 PM by Wayne Harris »

goat lady

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 09:38:19 PM »
just frustrating to figure out husking part

homeacremom

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 11:40:05 PM »
Posting mostly so I don't miss any replies to this thread.  ;)
I just ordered hulless oat seed from Seeds of Change. Have you considered that type?
Wheat seems to husk itself over time and then it only needs to be sifted/winnowed. Never grown it myself just picked up homegrown stuff from the Amish so maybe I missed something that happens to it before I get it. I sift, then rinse in clean water, then dry in a thin layer in a sheet on a hot day. After that it's sorting out the stones and grinding. Bread tastes might good.  ;D

goat lady

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 09:54:16 PM »
I read an article about putting through a meat grinder tried but didn t work real well
still had husk we did the dump in front of the fan but not real clean of husk.
I ve read that hulless oats are becoming popular but haven t had any info from growers.I wonder if you can save seed for the next year to replant after initial investment????

homeacremom

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 11:29:29 PM »
I ve read that hulless oats are becoming popular but haven t had any info from growers.I wonder if you can save seed for the next year to replant after initial investment????
Yes, these hulless oats are supposed to be an old thing, the seed just got hard to find for awhile. We plan to plant for seed the first year. 

goat lady

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 12:19:20 PM »
how is the cost compared to the other oats?

homeacremom

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 02:32:13 PM »
http://www.seedsofchange.com/garden_center/product_details.asp?item_no=PS11663&q=+hulless+oats
http://www.southernexposure.com/productlist/prods/72552.html
http://www.bountifulgardens.org/prodinfo.asp?number=GOA-7320

An article on Naked (hulless) Oats http://www.westonaprice.org/farming/naked-oats.html] [url]http://www.westonaprice.org/farming/naked-oats.html[/url]

Hope that helps you get started.  :) Google hulless oat seed for more links. I can't help much with growing tips because this is my first year to try them. I can get regular oat seed cheap locally so for me the hulless seed cost alot more, plus I need something else from seeds of change and just added to oats to that order. Nice company, but usually a more expensive.

goat lady

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 08:13:50 PM »
Thanks
let me know how it harvests later

goat lady

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 11:03:55 AM »
Found some of the seed and planted it. Its up 2 inches so far so good how is yours growing??? I also put in some spring wheat. I ve been looking at grain mills but  don t know which to go with. anybody have any input??? I hate to spend that kind of money to find out i bought the wrong one ???

homeacremom

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 07:57:11 PM »
Mines up several inches. I weeded once already, probably will once more and then leave it.

I have the Nutrimill and like it. Got a good deal on it. I have also used a Whisper/Wonder mill and do NOT recommend them.
If we had the money I would try the Diamant hand mill. All the other hand mills we have tried are just too labor intensive to use in feeding a family.

goat lady

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2009, 10:55:58 AM »
 is the nutrimill hand or electric?? Have you made cornmeal? I want to be able to make a variety of flours and meal.
Thanks for the info

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2009, 03:36:58 AM »
One thing to watch out for in mills is that most mills fit into three categories:
Stone, stainless and stainless mircron cutting heads.

Stainless is used for oily stuff like peanuts, coffee, seeds and nuts.
Stone is used for dry stuff like most grains, dried corn, oats, rice and beans.

Micron cutters are supposed to be use for dry stuff only.

Depending on what and how much you want to mill will determine which you will buy. You don't want to mill more than you will use in a few days it defeats what your doing it for. Also keep in mind you need a cool dry place to keep the grains so you don't get meal mites or grain mites or moths. They are a bear to get rid of and easy to get during the warm summer months.

Nutrimill is a good flour mill but it will only do flour. it's fast and holds alot. It's also electric.

Wondermill will do flour, beans and peas but not but not and seeds and nuts and holds 6 cups. Also electric.

Manual Mills like the Wonder Mill Junior can be purchased with both stone and stainless cutting heads and do jus about anything but does small batches - so you have to fill the hopper more than once. It will do flour, beans, rice nuts and seeds. Also keep inmind that manual mills tend to be dustier.

Hope this helps.

goat lady

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2009, 03:09:21 PM »
which do you use???

homeacremom

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2009, 03:48:51 AM »
I do corn, buckwheat, quinoa, wheat, oats, rye, beans....all that type of non-oily seed or grain in the Nutrimill. You can get anywhere from a coarse flour to fine pastry flour with the Nutrimill. I found it made a finer flour than the whisper/wonder mill. When grinding a new item I process a small amount and then check the resulting flour to make sure that it is dry enough not to clog the mill. On one occasion I needed to dry the corn for a longer amount.

I had a friend, not thinking, put flaxseed into her mill. She was able to unclog it by using popcorn, set the mill on the highest setting and tapped the side until it started moving through. Based on that and other recommendations for occasionally running corn through to "clean" the Nutrimill I used some dryer corn after putting through the insufficiently dried corn. No problems...

We have a Retzel handmill with both stone and stainless burrs and use the stainless for flax, sesame, peanuts, and such. I also use the Retzel for cracking grains such as cracked wheat or oats for breakfast cereals or for in artisan breads. Coarse corn meal for dusting pizza stones, and feeding baby chicks...