Author Topic: Peasant Gouda #2  (Read 5867 times)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Peasant Gouda #2
« on: July 28, 2013, 08:01:58 PM »
Following my previous effort, I decided to include this as my second cheese in my cheese hat trick yesterday.

Initial pH: 6.65

2 gallons of Cozy Vale Creamery whole raw milk
1 gallon of Twin Brook Creamery whole creamline milk
8 cubes Kazu MC
1/8 tsp LM57
1/2 tsp CACL
1/16 tsp Renco dry calf rennet

floc factor: 3
floc'd in 10 minutes

weighed each cheese prior to brining. slight variation in weights

whey-brined for 4 hours

now out to air-dry before moving into the cave

Edited to include a copy of Pav's Gouda treatise since his website was taken down.

-Boofer-
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 09:59:29 PM by Boofer »
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

gsager18

Re: Peasant Gouda #2
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 12:44:16 AM »
They look great! I love the shape those molds give the cheese. What's the difference between a peasant gouda and a regular gouda?

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 02:24:05 PM »
What's the difference between a peasant gouda and a regular gouda?
What's in a name? A Gouda by any other name is Gouda, but my Peasant Gouda...well, that's for the peasants I might deem worthy enough to bestow on them (at Christmas).  ;) Plus which, it's a simple, unassuming little cheese.

And it joins the illustrious lineage of others such as Mellow Yellow Garlic Gouda, Pont l'Évêque...n'est–ce pas?, My Sweet Edam, and Gooey & Sinful. Giving them a distinctive moniker raises them up and makes them feel better in the Boofer Cave Network.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

mjr522

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 04:22:16 AM »
Giving them a distinctive moniker raises them up and makes them feel better in the Boofer Cave Network.

So do names like, "The one my wife thinks smells like toot" make my cheeses feel worse?  :-[

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 10:27:18 AM »
Giving them a distinctive moniker raises them up and makes them feel better in the Boofer Cave Network.

So do names like, "The one my wife thinks smells like toot" make my cheeses feel worse?  :-[

Gee Mike, maybe so!!   >:D. I have made worse comments about a few skanky b linens flavored cheeses....
I think the stinky ones have good self esteem though and don't suffer too much.   ;)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 02:12:39 PM »

Maybe....

I think some of my cheeses develop a real attitude problem: Boofer's Fancy, Creamy Blueberry Delight. I won't have any of that! :P

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 03:12:23 PM »
It seemed like the time to cut this little cheese. It has been tucked away in the cave for almost a year.

As can be seen in the pictures, the cheese has rather oozed its way into the crevices of the vacuum bag over time. That doesn't mean that the cheese is oozy. It is semi-soft and pliable.

The aroma, texture, and flavor are spot on for the style. A very pleasing rendition of Gouda. I will be melting this on some toast very shortly. :P Yummy!

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Spoons

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 05:43:06 PM »
Waited a year! I can barely wait 6 months for mine... Congrats on your cheese! Has the sweetness developed after 11-12 months or is sweetness still only a slight background taste at that age?

A cheese for you!

JeffHamm

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 08:48:54 PM »
That's a great looking peasant gouda Boofer!  And, at a year old, nicely aged to keep it moist and pliable.  I have very little luck with my vacuum sealer and mould always develops anyway (doesn't produce the vacuum that you get, rather, is more of an "air reduced" environment and not so much of a vacuum). 

mjr522

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 12:52:05 AM »
I agree-a good looking cheese.  I've just moved about 60 lbs of aging cheeses half way across the country.  I'd be thrilled if any of them turned out as well as yours appears to have.

Geodyne

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 01:32:07 AM »
That really does look fabulous!

Spoons

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 02:54:13 AM »
I agree-a good looking cheese.  I've just moved about 60 lbs of aging cheeses half way across the country.  I'd be thrilled if any of them turned out as well as yours appears to have.

Whoah, look who's back! Nice to hear from you again, Mike!

jwalker

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 01:57:24 PM »
That does look fantastic Boofer , great texture !

My aged Goudas always come out much harder and crumblier , great taste , just different texture.

Whats your secret ? ☺

I will have to try that make , i have it copied.

A cheese to you ! ;D

Spoons

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2014, 03:20:26 PM »
Just seal it. Also don't leave it in the press overnight. It should only be pressed 5-8 hours until PH is 5.4

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2014, 11:34:31 PM »
Whats your secret ? ☺
Thanks for the cheese.

Yeah, what Eric said. Wash the curds, mind the cooking/stirring regimen, vacuum-seal to preserve the moisture level, age at proper temp, hope for the best ;).

I heartily agree with the pressing guidance. I periodically check the cheese pH while it's in the press, watching for the 5.3-5.4 bracket. When that comes, the cheese comes out and gets brined or dry-salted, depending on the style, to halt the acid production.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!