Author Topic: Ripening Manchego at Room Temperature  (Read 1498 times)

wnascimento

Ripening Manchego at Room Temperature
« on: January 29, 2014, 05:06:43 PM »
As I told in my introduction I bought in the beginning of last year 10 pregnant Lacaune ewes.
After the weaning of their babies I started to milking and making cheese.
I concentrated my learning process in the Manchego cheese.
The cheeses I made presented a very good taste and a nice texture and comparable with the imported ones from Spain. You can see some pictures of the cheeses.
My big concern is that all those cheeses were ripened at room temperature (24 ° C and UR between 40 % and 60 %.
After the brine the cheeses were dried and after 15 days I applied Olive Oil in the rind.
I would like to hear from the experts of the forum what are the implications of the ripening at higher temperatures and low UR.
Can I continue to ripening my cheeses in a room with that temperature ?
If the cheeses I made were good, how can I justify the investment in a cooling system?
Is the cooling system really necessary?

linuxboy

Re: Ripening Manchego at Room Temperature
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 05:14:11 PM »
You will generally have some more flavor development issues ripening at higher temperatures. And you are losing profit with the water loss at those low humidity levels. If the temperature is very elevated, you also tend to lose some fat. But it's possible.

wnascimento

Re: Ripening Manchego at Room Temperature
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 07:18:11 PM »
Pav

I was concern regarding some major risk.
All I had heard was that the ripening would be accelerated but anyone that told this have your acknowledgement.
I will postpone one more year the purchasing of the system to reduce the temperature in my Cave.
Thanks for your answer

Wallace