Author Topic: 1st Caerphilly , now I get it !  (Read 2365 times)

jwalker

1st Caerphilly , now I get it !
« on: July 31, 2013, 12:09:48 PM »
Just opened my first Caerphilly at four weeks old , it is great !

I was a little hesitant to open it this early as I just couldn't imagine a cheese haveing much flavor at four weeks old , boy was I wrong !

This is very flavorful but mild , an all round good cheese for eating out of hand , perfect texture , moist but still a little crumbly.

It melted well and the wife even fried a few pieces in olive oil , I recommend anyone try this.

This one was a four gallon make from the book "Mastering Artisan Cheese Making" .

Luckily I made another last weekend as this one wont last long.

This will be my go to cheese for everyday use and gifts , I am very glad I tried this one !

My newest one is made with Ma 4002 as well as Flora Danica and some Geo , it will have a natural rind instead of being waxed as this was , i am hoping for an even better result.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: 1st Caerphilly , now I get it !
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 01:38:09 PM »
Kudos, Jim.

Looks great! A cheese for your efforts and for being surprised. Good stuff.

Can you characterize what frying in olive oil does for the flavor, texture, and character of the cheese? You say it melts well, but not when you fry it, right?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 02:50:23 PM »
SO glad you finally get the reason many of us like this cheese!  it's cool, right?  AND, you can do so many things for variations such as paprika/oil coating, etc.  I like the natural rind ones a lot also.  I also just found one I'd vacuum packed and forgot that was made a year ago.  I'd vacuum packed it after a month or two.  it's now like a sharp crumbly cheddar.  I was impressed by what it had become.  Congratulations And another cheese for you.
 :D

Hansadutta

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 03:51:15 PM »
Hi Jim,

That looks great. I also could not believe that any cheese could get so much flavour in such a short time. I am glad that it turned out this succesfull. I made another right after the first one and it is getting all the "benefits" from the outside world. Unfortunately my wife is going to take it on holiday to Turkey and share it with her friends...
Hans

JeffHamm

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 06:57:16 PM »
Well done!  Another cheese to you for a great result.  This is why caerphilly is still one of my regular makes, and also why I recommend it to anyone starting out on pressed cheese.  The quick turn around time means you can learn from each make quickly, and really progress your skills and understanding of what's happening.  Many of the basic procedures you learn will help you with all cheeses, so the knowledge transfer is high.  Nicely done.

- Jeff

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 08:33:24 PM »
I should have mentioned that the photo of the cheese that is my forum photo is a Caerphilly that was coated with raw honey and then leaves put on it.  It got a lot of attention to it's rind and it came out like a work of art....sort of like leaves on parchment paper.  It was delicious also.  ^-^

jwalker

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 02:12:15 PM »
Kudos, Jim.

Looks great! A cheese for your efforts and for being surprised. Good stuff.

Can you characterize what frying in olive oil does for the flavor, texture, and character of the cheese? You say it melts well, but not when you fry it, right?

-Boofer-

The outside browns up and goes a little crispy , and so holds its shape while the inside gets very soft , the flavor is intensified just a bit , I think an oil with some flavor to it would be even better , next time I will fry some in the fat from my home made Pancetta.

Thanks for the cheeses everyone , most appreciated.