Author Topic: Cheers, new refrigerator  (Read 4453 times)

svetlen

Cheers, new refrigerator
« on: March 12, 2014, 05:33:12 PM »

Today finally brought my gift, a new refrigerator  267 liters for cheese :D. It's just a refrigerating chamber, for him specially bought the thermostat and thermometer with a probe.     
In the work 4 hours, the probe on the middle shelf and three of thermometer above and below. Top  12C, below 10C, in the middle 9C. Can probe lying on 1C but this is nonsense, for the moment, fridge in the first mode and temperature is very appropriate. Not need to use the thermostat he had a thick wire. Humidity is very low 10%, but I use the containers for maturation, wax, bags and this is not a problem.     
But I fear that the refrigerator is not yet out on your mode of operation and the temperature is reduced. For what time included new refrigerator is included in your regular operating temperature? The probe is already showing 8, the other shelves without changes.

John@PC

Re: Cheers, new refrigerator
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 10:51:59 PM »
Nice looking cave ;).   Sounds like your temperature control is good but if I were you I would get some more humidity in there (i.e. wet towel or water pan) even if you're using minicaves for your cheeses.

I had a bit of a problem understanding your post (must be my southern USA dialect :).  Are you using a translator like Google Translate?  The reason I'm asking is that I communicate with a chinese speaking vendor with good results but have to do some "tricks" to help him understand.

I see you're in eastern Ukraine so hoping all the political problems will be resolved.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 06:38:02 PM »
Sweet cave! :)

So many shelves, so many cheeses...wait, what? Where are the cheeses?  ;)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

svetlen

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 08:10:55 PM »

Working on it Boofer, work :)

For night work fridge temperature is still fell. Suitable for cheese temperature 10C only in the bottom drawer for vegetables, so two cheese already there. All other space 7C. To apply the thermostat in no hurry, because tomorrow I plan to buy 25 litres of milk and now is where to put it. But then I will need, to do something, wire thermostat forms a gap which is probably not good. The only hole in the camera it's draining, but there's water dripping, and dangerous.

Photo what is made for 1.5 months, and yesterday Manchego 2500 gr. Plans to make 2-3 cheese week, afraid of me and this little fridge would be.

John@PC

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 09:23:33 PM »
But then I will need, to do something, wire thermostat forms a gap which is probably not good.
Refridgerator door seals are not that flexible and aren't made for sticking things under them :(.  But if you make a couple of thin tapered "wedges" about 8 cm long out of some foam (I use balsa wood), put it over and under the wire and tape over it (carpet tape works better than duct tape) will reduce gaps.  I would think plumbers putty or some such material (even silicone) may even do better but I havent tried it.  The "best" way is to drill a hole in the side of the fridge, but then you have a hole in your brand new fridge  :o.  Good luck.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 10:10:42 PM »
I drilled a hole through the bottom rear of my cabinet and inserted the probe through it.  Then I sealed around it with silicone sealant.  That's a very nice setup you have.  Lots of room. :D
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

svetlen

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 02:58:56 PM »

Thank you for your advice, it seems there is a place where will be the best. The gap is there of course but that does not appear to be.

John@PC

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 10:44:53 PM »
A cheese for your ingenuity, svetlin.  You may want to add a little tape to keep it in place when you open the door  :).  Look forward to the wonderful cheeses that come from that beautiful cave.

svetlen

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 06:38:34 PM »

Already attached tape and testing. Put the thermostat on a range 10С - 13C. When reaching the maximum limit in 13C temperature on the top shelf 15C, probe thermometer put on the bucket to check the temperature height of cheese 15.6С, and in the bottom drawer 13C. Decided that too much heat and moved the probe of the temperature controller. Now in the top range from 11.3 to 13.6С, shelf over a box 8,5С to 9С, drawer for vegetables from 10C to 12C. Such temperature seems better for cheese.
I like a small difference of temperatures in 1-2 degrees, in a wine refrigerator is much more susceptible to temperature changes on a much smaller scale. When I bought a new thermometer with a probe, it first tested a wine fridge. I was in shock, so the bottom shelf in the wine fridge drop from 1.3С to 14C and this despite the fact that there is a fan for air mixing.

I had the choice to take another big wine fridge or just a fridge and a temperature regulator. I am very happy I chose just the refrigerator because they are cheaper to save energy, minimum temperature difference in 1-2 degrees.