Author Topic: Should I Stop the Swelling?  (Read 343 times)

Offline gsager18

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 1
  • Something other than the default personal text
Should I Stop the Swelling?
« on: August 01, 2013, 01:49:18 PM »
So I have a little Swiss that's been aging nicely so far. It's been in the "warm room" (aka top of fridge) for 15 days so far. I'll be away from home for about a week starting in 2 days, so my plan was to let it swell until then, then wax it and toss it back in the regular cave.
However...
Just yesterday I started getting some nice looking lumps on the top and bottom (before that it was just a general bowing of the sides). It seems like the eye formation is really starting to take off. I wish I could let it go longer but I know I can't leave it unattended for a week or something bad will happen.

So what would you do? Wax it? Leave it? Something else I'm not thinking of?

Guests, join the CheeseForum.org community to remove this ad.

Offline High Altitude

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 18
  • Cheesemaking & Winemaking
Re: Should I Stop the Swelling?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 11:04:45 AM »
I just now saw your post :-(.  What did you end up doing?  I would have just let it sit out for a week....it's only a week afterall (you could just wipe off any fuzzies, no biggie).  I would think putting it back in the fridge would stop the eye formation.  It wouldn't explode, eventually the eye formation just stops.
Have some (homemade) wine with that cheese!

Offline gsager18

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 1
  • Something other than the default personal text
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 05:00:51 PM »
I ended up waxing it and tossing it back in the regular cave, where it's been sitting happily ever since. I wasn't worried about the mold so much as it either bursting or sagging/ripening unevenly as a result of not being turned for so long. It ended up being closer to 2 weeks that I was gone, so it's just as well. Once I cut into it at least 6 months from now, I'll be sure to let everyone know how it turned out!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 09:43:54 PM by gsager18 »

Offline High Altitude

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 18
  • Cheesemaking & Winemaking
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 05:52:24 PM »
Thanks!  We'll be waiting!
Have some (homemade) wine with that cheese!