Author Topic: Should I Stop the Swelling?  (Read 1395 times)

gsager18

Should I Stop the Swelling?
« on: August 01, 2013, 06:49:18 PM »
So I have a little Swiss that's been aging nicely so far. It's been in the "warm room" (aka top of fridge) for 15 days so far. I'll be away from home for about a week starting in 2 days, so my plan was to let it swell until then, then wax it and toss it back in the regular cave.
However...
Just yesterday I started getting some nice looking lumps on the top and bottom (before that it was just a general bowing of the sides). It seems like the eye formation is really starting to take off. I wish I could let it go longer but I know I can't leave it unattended for a week or something bad will happen.

So what would you do? Wax it? Leave it? Something else I'm not thinking of?

High Altitude

Re: Should I Stop the Swelling?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 04:04:45 PM »
I just now saw your post :-(.  What did you end up doing?  I would have just let it sit out for a week....it's only a week afterall (you could just wipe off any fuzzies, no biggie).  I would think putting it back in the fridge would stop the eye formation.  It wouldn't explode, eventually the eye formation just stops.

gsager18

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 10:00:51 PM »
I ended up waxing it and tossing it back in the regular cave, where it's been sitting happily ever since. I wasn't worried about the mold so much as it either bursting or sagging/ripening unevenly as a result of not being turned for so long. It ended up being closer to 2 weeks that I was gone, so it's just as well. Once I cut into it at least 6 months from now, I'll be sure to let everyone know how it turned out!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 02:43:54 AM by gsager18 »

High Altitude

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 10:52:24 PM »
Thanks!  We'll be waiting!