Author Topic: Review: French Exported Floralie Brie  (Read 2778 times)

Cheese Head

Review: French Exported Floralie Brie
« on: February 28, 2009, 12:51:28 AM »
Bought this 0.97 pound/440 gram manufactured Brie about 1 month ago from WalMart's wholesale store SamsClub here in Houston, Texas for USD7.12 and left in cold household fridge to further age.

It is a pre-wrapped wedge of a Floralie Brie made in France and imported to USA by DCI Cheese Co. and thus made from pasteurized milk.

Even after an extra month and after allowing to reach room temperature of 75 F / 24 C, he barely flowed, but after 1/2 an hour it was noticeably flowing but by then too late to take a picture.

Very nice, light flavour, very homogeneous product, the only negative is it's almost too perfect a product and thus lacks character.

Cheese Head

Re: Review: French Exported Floralie Brie
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 12:51:46 AM »
Pictures . . .
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 01:01:27 AM by John (Cheese Head) »

chilipepper

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 04:47:17 AM »
John, thanks for the review.  I saw at our local "SUPER" walmart they had a Camembert that I was thinking of trying.

I find it somewhat interesting looking at your pictures.... we seem to strive for the point at which the center core becomes soft.  These however, look as though the center is the soft part and the rind outer edges is actually the more solid part.  I wonder if that is a product of additional aging.  Maybe with enough time it will eventually work its way back to creating a rind as the brie in your picts. 

The other question/comment is don't they usually say these soft mold ripened cheeses do not continue to age after they are cut open?  Age may be a poor choice of words but basically it is my understanding that they will not continue to further soften after they are cut.

Once again, thanks for the post, John!

Ryan

Cheese Head

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 05:21:43 AM »
Ryan, good point on white mold cheeses stop ripening once cut, that's what I've heard, forgot that.

To be fair even after 1 month in our fridge, I didn't notice any over-ripening, then I didn't open it until tonight. The reason for not opening it for 1 month was that lots of other cheeses to eat ;D.

So if it is true that it stops aging once cut, what is the shelf life of cut brie wedges, there must be some, and what's the cause?

Second, Camembert's as smaller are sold uncut, so they must continue to ripen, thus what is their store shelf life?

Lastly, I think the cold store and household fridge storage temperatures significantly reduce ripening.

PS: The middle pate was definitely softer and oozed out more than the edge pate.

PPS: Why are Brie's and Camembert's similar thickness, it must have something to do with the way and time it takes the cheeses to ripen from the surface in.