Author Topic: PH meters  (Read 5691 times)

Rich2

Re: PH meters
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2013, 02:00:20 AM »
I've poked around on semi-solids cheese electrodes and have some choices depending on how much you wish to pay. For those that wish to throw the dice, there is a nice Hanna 210B double junction (new returned for some reason) electrode on Ebay for $41. This is a $165 electrode and you are risking $15 if it doesn't work.
For those that wish a new electrode with a warranty, the Sensorex S175CD-BNC on Amazon is a double junction electrode for $94.50. At the moment, this appears to be the best deal. Keep in mind that both of the electrodes above don't have temperature compensation. Also keep in mind that a double junction electrode is better than a single junction electrode.
pH is temperature dependent. Meters assume the temperature is 25C unless told otherwise. Folks making Swiss cheese would benefit from temperature compensation, those at 90F not so much. The Hanna meter in the picture a couple posts above, comes with a #202 electrode. This is a single junction electrode with temperature compensation that lists for $160. Another general name for this is a 3 in 1 electrode (working, reference, temperature). These electrodes are convenient,  but expensive because the pH part of the electrode will die long before the temperature sensor. On every replacement electrode you pay around $40 to replace the temperature part of the electrode that isn't broken.
On older and some new meters, the pH and temperature have separate plugs on the meter. You can buy just the temperature sensor for around $40 new and use a pH electrode without it. For those that are frugal, you can buy a dead 3 in 1 electrode and just use the temperature part of it.
I'll try one of the Sensorex elcetrodes after my current one dies.
Rich