Author Topic: Coconut Oil  (Read 2129 times)

tnbquilt

Coconut Oil
« on: August 16, 2013, 01:16:58 AM »
I put this here because this is mostly where I read about people using coconut oil to age their cheese. I thought that I would try this, so I bought some coconut oil at the grocery store and I covered a 4 gallon make of Gouda, and a 4 gallon make of Gouda with mustard seeds. I smelled the oil before I wiped the cheeses with it, and it did not have a coconut odor. Now my cheese cave smells like coconut when you open the door!

It's much better than that odor when you have a cheese that has grown a little of that blue green mold on it and needs to be brushed. I can tell as soon as I open the door if I have a cheese with a mold issue, but now it smells like coconut. It's like suntan lotion when you're at the beach.

bobbymac29649

Re: Coconut Oil
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 01:28:56 AM »
I did the exact same thing a couple of days ago!  The coconut oil smells great.  But I don't know about a cheesy coconut cream pie smell!  The oil has a fairly noticeable coconut flavor as well so I'm curious to see if the cheese will have that.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 10:38:26 AM »
I haven't noticed it flavoring the cheese.  I usually put several layers on because my cave is not the correct humidity so I'm needing to make a moisture barrier.  When the cheese is ready to be cut, someone on the forum mentioned having it in a warmish place and wiping off excess coconut oil before cutting.  (that may have been Sailor who wrote that but I don't remember). DO let us know how the coconut oil works for you.  It's good to hear other experiences and insights.   :)

jwalker

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 02:50:45 PM »
There must be quite a different range of coconut oils , the kind I get has no aroma or taste of any kind , completely neutral.

I have been trying your coconut oil treatment Tiarella , I have two Caerphillys in the cave that kept getting an awful tasting mold on them , no matter what I did , it kept coming back , so I tried the coconut oil and it is keeping the mold at bay wonderfully , yet still letting the cheese breathe , it smells great .

I used ground black pepper with the coconut oil as a rub , and give it a rub once or twice a week , to smear it around and ensure it stays even.

I'm starting to think this may be a better option than waxing , especially for younger cheeses.

Thanks for that tip Tia.

tnbquilt

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 08:53:57 PM »
My oil does not smell in the container, but after being in the cave for a few days it is putting off a nice odor.

I like the option of oiling the cheese, and I hope it lets the inside age nicely without drying out. I have two of the same cheese that I vacuum sealed, so we'll see in a few months.

bobbymac29649

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 03:03:26 AM »
Here's the coconut oil that I used.  It really does smell like a delicious coconut cream pie.  I've cooked with it this week (briefly sauteing kale before adding broth) and it filled the kitchen with a great aroma.  it did leave a definite coconut taste.  Not strong, but noticeable.  So, I guess there are different types.
It does say on the label that it's not refined, deodorized or bleached and adding a pinch of salt reduces the coconut flavor.