Author Topic: Double Batch Jack  (Read 734 times)

Colaly

Double Batch Jack
« on: February 27, 2009, 06:57:01 PM »
I had success with the monterey jack cheese recipe from ricki carroll's 'Home Cheesemaking' and I'm planning to make another batch but it only makes 1lb. So I plan to do a double batch and use two gallons of milk. The question though, when I double the milk and rennet for the recipe do I need to double the mesophillic starter too? I'm thinking since all the other recipes use the same amount of starter and set up two gallons of milk, I should be able to use the standard amount and just let it sit an extra 15min. Any thoughts on this? 
???

Guests, join the CheeseForum.org community to remove this ad.

Offline John (CH)

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 60
Re: Double Batch Jack
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 07:28:01 PM »
Hi Colaly and welcome to the forum.

Congrats on your Monterey Jack and on moving up in size :).

Good question, I normally double the amount of meso starter I use just to be sure to get enough acidification and as it is cheap, if you buy a big bag from one of the Cheese Making Supply Stores.

That said I use 0.25 grams of Danisco's Choozit Brand Mesophilic Starter Culture MM100 per 1 US gallon, I weigh on this scale, it's roughly 1/8 of a teaspoon if you are in US, if metric its 0.6 ml, conversion table here.

Offline chilipepper

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 14
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 10:21:49 PM »
Hi Colaly and welcome to the forum!  I too have made Carroll's jack recipe in her book and if you are using the little packages from her site you can use up to 2 gallons with one package. You should be fine and I'm pretty sure that is what I did here.  Good luck and I was very impressed with this cheese. It has a very good Jack flavor. 

Let us know how it goes!
Ryan

Colaly

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 11:40:26 AM »
Thanks for the advice. I've convinced myself that one packet of the mesophilic starter is going to work and gone ahead and made it. Feeling quite optimistic!