Author Topic: Double Batch Jack  (Read 1743 times)

Colaly

Double Batch Jack
« on: February 28, 2009, 12:57:01 AM »
I had success with the monterey jack cheese recipe from ricki carroll's 'Home Cheesemaking' and I'm planning to make another batch but it only makes 1lb. So I plan to do a double batch and use two gallons of milk. The question though, when I double the milk and rennet for the recipe do I need to double the mesophillic starter too? I'm thinking since all the other recipes use the same amount of starter and set up two gallons of milk, I should be able to use the standard amount and just let it sit an extra 15min. Any thoughts on this? 
???

Cheese Head

Re: Double Batch Jack
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 01:28:01 AM »
Hi Colaly and welcome to the forum.

Congrats on your Monterey Jack and on moving up in size :).

Good question, I normally double the amount of meso starter I use just to be sure to get enough acidification and as it is cheap, if you buy a big bag from one of the Cheese Making Supply Stores.

That said I use 0.25 grams of Danisco's Choozit Brand Mesophilic Starter Culture MM100 per 1 US gallon, I weigh on this scale, it's roughly 1/8 of a teaspoon if you are in US, if metric its 0.6 ml, conversion table here.

chilipepper

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 04:21:49 AM »
Hi Colaly and welcome to the forum!  I too have made Carroll's jack recipe in her book and if you are using the little packages from her site you can use up to 2 gallons with one package. You should be fine and I'm pretty sure that is what I did here.  Good luck and I was very impressed with this cheese. It has a very good Jack flavor. 

Let us know how it goes!
Ryan

Colaly

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 05:40:26 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I've convinced myself that one packet of the mesophilic starter is going to work and gone ahead and made it. Feeling quite optimistic!