Author Topic: goat's milk cheddar  (Read 1829 times)

chewie

goat's milk cheddar
« on: August 06, 2013, 01:49:03 AM »
is there something I am doing wrong or can change in making cheddar from my raw goat's milk, that would make the finished cheese more melty?   the flavor is good, the texture feels ok, but i just wish it'd melt better.

also, I am making some havarti with this same milk.   my recipe says to turn it every other day for a few weeks before waxing.  but if i wait, its all fuzzy with grey mold.   should i just leave it and let it age this way or what do i do?  i wash it and the mold comes right back (vinegar and salt wash).   
or wax (I vac seal in lieu of wax) right away before it can fuzz?   my recipe says 90% humidity, and to wipe off excess which I do.   

what do I do??

linuxboy

Re: goat's milk cheddar
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 02:18:09 PM »
Post your time vs pH schedule to help us sort out meltability issues. Most likely, you are not acidifying long enough before renetting. Or something else in combination. Comes down to casein breakdown.

tnbquilt

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 04:28:30 PM »
I'm glad I read this, I learned something again. I knew that PH level affected whether or not it melted, I just didn't realize that it was the PH level at the time you add your rennet.

I haven't had this problem lately, but I have had it before. Actually I don't think I've had it since I started using my PH meter and waiting for the PH to drop .1 before adding the rennet, so that's probably why.

Another tid bit of information to store in my brain for later use.

chewie

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 05:06:33 PM »
ok, this will prove how new I am to this---what??   I am simply following a recipe, and it did not say a thing about ph in cheddar.    so, goat's milk cheddar can be made so its all melty and gooey?   I've been told it doesnt' work that way.   but i'd like it to, so please teach me!

linuxboy

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 05:17:57 PM »
I've been told it doesnt' work that way. 
Who told you that?

Sure, it's possible to engineer cheddar to where you can specify the length of stretch during melting. Just like mozz. Cheddar is really similar to mozz, except instead of cooking and pulling, you cheddar, mill, and repress.

It's pretty straightforward. Wait for a .1 -.15 drop in pH, target rennet is 6.55-6.65. Then follow the make schedule, drain at 6.2. Then mill at 5.5, salt at 5.4, and press 5.2-5.3. Classic cheddar recipe. The rest of meltability is about lactose, casein, fat levels, which is harder to manage and manipulate on a home scale.

chewie

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 07:05:24 PM »
I was told goat's milk cheeses wont' get all melty like cow's milk types.

is there somewhere that lists this ph-at-what-stage recipes?

linuxboy

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 10:55:50 PM »
They are a little different, yes. The casein structure is different. But it's possible to achieve reasonable parity.

Several threads here that have files with pH markers for makes. Keep in mind, it's not very useful to discuss pH without the context of the milk components and the manufacturing process. It all fits together.

Spellogue

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 11:31:56 PM »
I've made a number of goat cheeses that melt nicely, but I'm concerned it's been a bit of a fluke.

It may be a lot to ask, but do you have any tips toward meltability, or keeping true to make schedules in general, for those of us yet without a ph meter?  I hate to fuss with litmus paper unless I must.  I'll break down and buy a ph meter eventually, but until then are there particular things I can observe regarding acidity changes and the right timing?

linuxboy

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 12:30:04 AM »
If you give me culture and amounts, I can generally tell you the time schedule.

Start with the basics of the make. You have to wait a bit for the acid to break down the casein, then fuse then caseins, remove water, and then manage the point at which you refuse after removing water.

Litmus paper is not a fuss. You just have to take 2 readings...

Pretty easy to gauge pH if you only make one style of cheese and one starter type.

edit: use TA if you don't want to use pH. Cheaper, though it's a bit of hassle.

chewie

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 09:02:02 PM »
i am using 4 gallons whole, raw fresh goat milk.   using a colby recipe, i use 1/2tsp meso, usually mm4000 or ma16.  I also have flora danika if that is better.   for cheddar its the same amts., just a bit different process.    I do have a ph meter.   i use liquid rennet, from dairy connection.  i also have calc. chloride if i need to use it--another thing i hear yes, if goat milk or pasturized, and i've also seen no, you don't if its raw milk.   so that's a confusing part too, if you would shed light on it??

thanks

linuxboy

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2013, 09:10:10 PM »
CaCl2 use is personal preference, depends on the quality of your milk. If your gel set is weak, yes, adding in .01% or so anhydrous or equivalent will increase gel strength and give the curd better working properties during the make. There is no single rule governing its use.

chewie

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2013, 03:14:52 PM »
actually, the last 2 batches i've made seem to come out 'hard' and dry, whereas before it was a nicer looking curd, knit together in the mold better too.   this stuff is like little pebbles, altho softer, but they don't seem to knit well at all.  my wheels stay all lumps and bumps, like a magnified version of an orange skin.