Author Topic: Opened a Tomme from May 8th  (Read 4882 times)

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
Re: Opened a Tomme from May 8th
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2013, 03:15:17 PM »
Thank you, JWalker!  You're a great bread baker also.  Any new brilliant bread insights from your experiences?  I've been grinding my own organic Einkorn flour for bread.  helped a lovely person get her seed bank varieties of ancient wheats planted and she gifted us with 50 pounds of Einkorn grain and some other ancient wheat seed to plant.  Loads of fun!   :)

Geodyne

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2013, 07:31:39 PM »
The photo of your loaf suggests you don't need too many hints, Tia!

I had to google Einkorn - how marvelous. I dabbled with growing my own wheat and barley before leaving the UK, but lost the crop to horses. I also grind flour and make my own bread. It's a great upper body workout.  ;D

I use local organic wheat grain which isn't particularly strong so I add a touch of gluten flour to give the dough a bit of a boost. I've also found that feeding my starter twice daily with a few tablespoons of flour really boosts the lift and oven spring. I'm typing this as I have breakfast - an espresso and two slices of my breakfast loaf: hand-ground wholemeal and rye, with linseed, chia, sunflower and pumpkin seeds.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2013, 08:41:34 PM »
Your breakfast sounds great, Geo.  I have to admit that I've been using my electric grinder to grind flour these days. I have a hand one but have a lot of upper (and lower) body workout built into my every day so I wimp out on the flour grinding.  My favorite core strength work out is maneuvering 16' livestock panels every morning and night.  I use them to control what areas my goat and sheep flocks have access to.   :)

hey, I'll share a favorite use of chia seeds.  I like it best with the white chia seeds.  Put a couple of tablespoons of them in water to soak fo a few hours.  (good luck keeping them from sticking to each other in clumps). Then, when you need a refreshing drink, pour a bit of the seed/water mix into a glass (I store it in the fridge so that it lasts days), add more water and a few drops of liquid flavored stevia to flavor and sweeten.  Voila, a very cool, refreshing and healthy beverage.  It's fun to crunch the seeds between your teeth.....they are succulent like fig seeds.