Author Topic: Choosing a Gouda starter from the stash  (Read 4210 times)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: Choosing a Gouda starter from the stash
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2013, 11:47:08 PM »
So Boofer, you got good reviews on your Roasted Garlic Gouda while it's still young.  That's encouraging to know.  I'll feel confident cutting into mine at 4 months if I need to tap into it for the holidays.  Perhaps I'll make anothern one very soon to age longer.  It would be a nice cheese for a February afternoon.  I don't see how I could possibly wait a whole year without a third cheese.
The beauty of these little one-pounders (~400g) is that you can crack one open and the rest stay pristine in their little plastic enclosures. ;)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Spellogue

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2013, 11:52:06 PM »
Great!  I'm into my final pressing.  Things are looking pretty good so far.

Spellogue

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2013, 12:06:05 AM »
.The beauty of these little one-pounders (~400g) is that you can crack one open and the rest stay pristine in their little plastic enclosures. ;)

-Boofer-

Ah, yes!  I'm a big advocate of little cheeses too.  I love that in a single 1-2 gallon make I can turn up 4 chèvre du Poitous, or a half dozen Crottin, or a whole mess of cabecous.

The only appropriate mold I have fore this one is my solitary tomme mold.  It requires at least a three gallon make for a good pressing.  It should make for a nice new year's presentation though. If I choose to cut it then.