Author Topic: Gouda with Dill !!  (Read 1239 times)

jwalker

Gouda with Dill !!
« on: August 11, 2013, 04:15:45 PM »
Ahhhhh..............another success , a four gallon Gouda with fresh dill.

A simple Gouda recipe from RC's book , made with four gallons of store bought P/H milk , but added about three tablespoons of fresh dill , boiled to kill any contaminants of course.

I pressed this one much lighter than any previous makes and like the texture much better , the original recipe called for pressing with 50 pounds , I have since reduced that to about thirty pounds and the result is a much nicer paste , that's for a six inch diameter mold.

This is four months old , but I just had to take a piece and try it , it is actually my best Gouda to date.

Perfect texture for a Gouda , in my opinion , soft but still a little crumbly , would probably use more dill next time , or a dried dill which should be a little stronger in flavor , still , the dill is at the forefront of the flavor.

I was surprised how nice it is at four months , I usually consider that too young for Gouda , I re-coated and re-waxed the remainder and will age it for another four months before trying it again.

I am now looking forward to trying my other Goudas , one with black pepper , one with garlic , and one with toasted onion.

It's a real Dilly !! ;D

JeffHamm

Re: Gouda with Dill !!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 06:21:03 PM »
Very nice looking result!  A cheese to you.  I really like dill in beef and tomato dishes goulash type things.  This would be a nice addition for a grated cheese addition to that.  Yum!

- Jeff

shotski

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 12:59:16 AM »
Nice job Jim a cheese to you. ;D

jwalker

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 02:23:43 PM »
Thanks for the cheese , I had this one re-waxed and put away to age some more , but everyone who tried it , loved it , so I decided what the heck , just eat it now.

I guess a Gouda can be good at four months.! :o

Will make another next week.

tnbquilt

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 04:08:35 PM »
You can always make more! I had some friends over making cheese the other day and I told them I always do a 4 gallon batch, because it takes the same amount of time, and if I do a 2 gallon batch and it's really good, I won't have enough of it.