Author Topic: Baby Swiss Direction  (Read 1885 times)

Keyser Soze

Baby Swiss Direction
« on: August 12, 2013, 02:54:25 AM »
Hi All,

Making my first Baby Swiss today.  Trying o follow the makes on this thread have given me a few points to ponder, and I wonder if you all could weigh in on these.

3 gallon make.  How big and what type of mold do you use?  I see cowboy's using 3 gal of whole milk and gets a 4 lb cheese.  From the picture in the thread, it looks like an 8 inch mold.

Does anyone know where I can find some of the original make directions for a Baby Swiss?

I have piled so many directions on this it seems almost impossible to repeat.  I'll post my notes as soon as I'm done with this if I can get i to knit up.

As soon as I make a cheese I recognize, I'm going to branch out a little, but my cheeses so far have been okay, but not what I'm looking for.

I made a good Caerphilly, everyone but me likes it, and I'm waiting to see how the Butterkäse comes out before I make another one of those.

Thanks for all the great advice and the helpful posts.

I really miss my Bergkäse from the Allgaü.  No Germany vacation this year I'm afraid,  So I need to get my cheese on ! ;-)

george

Re: Baby Swiss Direction
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 10:20:26 AM »
Here is my compilation of comments from Sailor's original "My Baby is Swelling" thread - attached.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 01:28:11 PM »
3 gallon make.  How big and what type of mold do you use?
Sometime ago I bought two of the moulds shown in the top-right of the display. They are heavy-duty, microperf, stackable...and make wonderful cheeses. They are good for 3-4 gallon (1.5-2kg) makes.

They were also reasonably priced from iratherfly. I don't see this one on his website, so you might have to PM him.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

tnbquilt

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 01:51:25 AM »
I see that you have noted that you miss your cheese from Germany. We are going there the 1st of April, and are driving down through the Allgau region. I'd love to know where to go in the area to see cheese making, but I can't find anything on the internet that's specific. Like the name of a farm that does this so that you can email and see what time of the year is correct. I believe I will private message this to you and see if I get a reply that way as well, since the post is so old.