Author Topic: Need recipe for soft goat Mozzarella  (Read 4394 times)

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
Re: Need recipe for soft goat Mozzarella
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2013, 12:22:11 AM »
Check this page out.  Between this and Pav's suggestions I think we can do it.

http://www.cheesemaking.com/Mozz-Culture.html

Okay.....I'm doing this soon!

Smurfmacaw

Re: Need recipe for soft goat Mozzarella
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2013, 02:00:08 AM »
I think that  all you need is water buffalo milk to make that cheese!!

Well, let's see......I pay $17 bucks a gallon for raw cows milk........I assume raw sheep's milk would be ten times that.......Water buffalo????  At $1700 bucks a gallon, I'd rather use plain cow milk and add fresh alban truffles at only $400 per ounce and make a really tasty cheese.  Sorry, just wanking about the cost of decent milk for cheese making. 

Next Oregon Truffle season I have high hopes though.  I tasted Oregon white truffles against Alban Winter White Truffles and was highly impressed.  They definitely hold their own even if you don't take price into consideration.  (I know there are several very large guys named Guido that are going to pay me a visit, but I think if I didn't know which was which, I'd take the Oregon truffles.....seriously.)  (ask me about the time I left a perigord truffle on the counter while cooking and my wonderful male eclectus parrot ate it......I still catch grief from my wife......dang near at the stupid bird since he was already stuffed. It was a big one too.)

There is a sheep cheese that I can't remember the name of, I had it a Bernardus in Monterrey (my daughter is friends with the daughter of the executive chef) that is to die for.  I want to recreate it with Oregon truffles....I just need to figure out how to  work with them... I think the cheese is aged for five months and then plugs are taken out and filled with truffles for another five months or so........The taste was better than s.....well this is a family friendly forum so figure it out.  Really good.