Author Topic: Mould on cheese  (Read 1653 times)

daithi23

Mould on cheese
« on: August 17, 2013, 11:08:44 AM »
Hi, I was making the cheese from this recipe http://cheeseforum.org/articles/wiki-cheddar-cheese-making-recipe/ and for I was letting it dry at room temperature before waxing and aging. It's been out a few days now and it's gotten a mould on it. Picture here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/flbovfuzx8tq2sg/IMAG0424.jpg
What's the best way to deal with it? Is it dafe to scrape it off and continue as normal?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 03:33:44 PM by daithi23 »

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: Mould on cheese
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 12:48:22 PM »
Pretty molds. :)

First of all, you can and should post directly to the forum. You can search on how to do that, but a quick tip: below your post is "Attachments and other options"...click on it and search for the picture on your computer.

Did you brine this cheese prior to setting it out to dry? Ordinarily, the residual salt on the rind would preclude any early infections. Right now, you can lightly brush it off and/or wipe it down with salt and vinegar.

What style of cheese is this intended to be?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

daithi23

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 03:38:08 PM »
Thanks Boofer, I've attached the pic to the original post now. I didn't brine the cheese before leaving it out. I'll try wiping it off and wiping with salt and vinegar so. The cheese is intended to be a cheddar (without the cheddaring step!), I basically followed the instructions on the above link.

JeffHamm

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 06:35:46 PM »
If you added salt to the curds, which the link indicates you should have, I wouldn't brine it or you'll get too salty a cheese.  Wiping it down with brine and vinegar should do it well enough.

- Jeff

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 01:50:45 PM »
Jeff's right, I must have dozed off when reading this through. My apologies...I guess I was surprised by the aggressive mold development so quickly coming in. Almost makes me think that sanitation might be an issue.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.