Author Topic: Ohh, Baby . . . Swiss  (Read 6855 times)

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
Re: Ohh, Baby . . . Swiss
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2013, 06:45:13 AM »
Definitely a nice looking cheese and the rind looks perfect. Well done.
A well deserved cheese for your effort.
-Bill
One day I will add something here...

GlennK

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2013, 11:33:50 AM »
A cheese to you Boofer.  I wish I was spending NYE at your house so I could sample some of that.

Digitalsmgital

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2013, 03:31:58 PM »
Congrats on the new baby, I will light a cigar for you both tonight!

I see you named it acceptable, was it the eye formation that dampened your enthusiasm? It looks terrific, AC4U!

JeffHamm

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2013, 04:39:43 PM »
Looks pretty good though.  Do you think the small eyes and weak PS flavour might indicate a problem with your culture?  How old is your PS powder?  I wouldn't change anything unless it becomes consistent.  I know something is going wrong when my cheeses start becoming consistent! :) ha!

- Jeff

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2014, 02:10:44 PM »
I see you named it acceptable, was it the eye formation that dampened your enthusiasm? It looks terrific, AC4U!
Thanks for the cheese.

The small eyes are fine for this style. Very acceptable. ;)

Looks pretty good though.  Do you think the small eyes and weak PS flavour might indicate a problem with your culture?  How old is your PS powder?  I wouldn't change anything unless it becomes consistent.  I know something is going wrong when my cheeses start becoming consistent! :) ha!

- Jeff
No, my PS is good. I've found over time that I'm not a big fan of overly PS-heavy alpines. My intent is to give a nuance of PS character. Smaller eyes naturally follows the reduced PS character.

Consistency in cheesemaking? Yeah, I like to have some assurance that a cheese I make will emulate a previous make. There are a lot of factors beyond my control and I'm just lucky if those line up properly and complement my efforts to adhere to a recipe. Still, each cheese has its own character and agenda regardless how faithfully I stick to the recipe.

If I can achieve a reasonable consistency with my cheesemaking, I can then take that cheese recipe and tweak it slightly. Along those lines, something in my head that I can't seem to shake is the idea of a Beaufort with a little blue character. We'll see. 8)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

High Altitude

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2014, 07:38:22 PM »
I think it's just gorgeous, Boofer!  Love the rind coloring as well. 

A cheese to you, and Happy New Year!