Author Topic: Little crop of Caerphilly  (Read 15630 times)

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
Re: Little crop of Caerphilly
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2013, 10:29:20 AM »
Mike, I don't think your paprika one is low on oil, I think you could have just made more of the mix and gotten it thick all over.  At least, that's what I do.  But I prophecy that it will turnout perfectly just as you have it.  Those style always look a little half-baked at first.  Did you use olive oil in it?  You could coconut oil on top of the coating once it has dried if you like and then just rub the coconut layer if any molds appear.  I've got to do another one of those soon. 

High Altitude

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2013, 07:53:58 PM »
It'll be fun to follow these, Mike; and yes, they will make fabulous Christmas presents  ;D!

mjr522

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2013, 02:09:18 AM »
Here's an update at just over a week.  The onion, garlic, plain (I left one plain for comparison purposes), pepper corn, and sage mix-ins have all been bagged.  The neglected cheese is growing hair and age spots.  It's hard to see because I'm just leaving it in its aging container, even during photo shoots.  I'm not sure it will work as well as its inspiration because of the poorly sealed rind.  We'll see though--that's half of the fun!
[img width= height= alt=cheese in container with mold growing]https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1238071_387828694675910_481558897_n.jpg[/img]

The coated cheeses are just chillin' in the cave.  I have learned that they are a little messy to turn (hence the big finger print).  The cocoa stiffened up pretty well, the cinnamon and paprika didn't...
[img width= height= alt=cheeses coated in cocoa, cinnamon, and paprika]https://sphotos-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1150414_387828698009243_2091932110_n.jpg[/img]. 
I'm not sure when to cut into these guys.  Thoughts?

Spoons

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2013, 03:21:17 AM »
ou using muslin and was prepared to do so if needed. 

I really like the little size.  I think they'll make great little Christmas presents.  If I can get to where I can make a more consistent size, I'm considering quartering the cheeses and then gifting a "variety wheel" that has 1/4 a wheel of 4 different cheeses wrapped up as a single wheel.  Wouldn't that be a fun little present?

I hope the cheeses turn out well for you. Im really curious about the paprika one! Sounds interesting!

your 4-quarter gift idea is awesome! I just might do it myself. I was thinking of buying bamboo steamer baskets for this idea. there are different sizes and are fairly cheap at around $4 each.

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/get-stm-45-hy-4-1-2-honey-polypropylene-round-steamer-set-24-case/375STM45HY.html

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2013, 01:14:44 PM »
I was thinking of buying bamboo steamer baskets for this idea. there are different sizes and are fairly cheap at around $4 each.
Are these available in small numbers or do you have to buy the case of 24?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

mjr522

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2013, 03:17:44 PM »
Those little containers would certainly make the gift nicer.  Thanks for sharing!

bobbymac29649

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2013, 04:02:05 PM »
Mike-what are those racks you have your cheese drying on?  They look familiar but I can't place them. 

mjr522

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2013, 05:58:12 PM »
It's "egg crate"--the plastic lattice work that sits in fluorescent tube light fixtures.  A number of people use them to dry their cheeses on.  I've been pleased with mine.

Spoons

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2013, 08:17:10 PM »
I was thinking of buying bamboo steamer baskets for this idea. there are different sizes and are fairly cheap at around $4 each.
Are these available in small numbers or do you have to buy the case of 24?

-Boofer-

The ones from webrestaurantstore.com are fake ones. They're for restaurant decorations only. That's why they are cheaper and only come in bulk.

Real bamboo steamers come in different sizes and even come in double deckers! but they are a little more expensive. There are many sources online where you can buy them I'll try to post some links if I find some good websites.

http://www.fantes.com/images/14880steamers.jpg (4" x 2-5/8")
http://www.fantes.com/steamers.html (a few double decker steamers here!)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 08:22:49 PM by Spoons »

Denise

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2013, 10:36:56 PM »
That poor 'neglected' little cheese looks so sad :(....the humanitarian in me wants to brush away its moldy spots and wax it.......

Its brothers and sisters look great.

mjr522

« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2013, 02:33:47 AM »
Thanks!

It looks even more sad, today.  It occurred to me that the relative humidity in the little container is probably close to 100%.  My goal in neglecting it was to keep it closer to 85%, so I cracked the lid a little.  I'm really looking forward to seeing what happens with him. 

dthelmers

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2013, 01:18:04 PM »
Mike, remember that the one that I neglected was on a shelf with plenty of air circulation and a much lower humidity.
Dave in CT

mjr522

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2013, 01:47:34 PM »
Dave, I thought about that last night.  I opened the container to drop the humidity, but you're right that the air circulation is still non-existent.  The ambient air is too dry.  I'm thinking about putting the cheese on a wire rack flipping the container over on top of the cheese, leaving the bottom open.  That should help with the humidity and will allow more air flow/exchange, though I'm not sure how much it.  What do you think?

dthelmers

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2013, 08:39:35 PM »
Sounds OK, but I think that I would brush the mold down. A student of mine made one, and her house is very humid, so I have her brushing the mold down with a nail brush, and it's forming a nice rind.

bobbymac29649

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2013, 10:39:02 PM »
It's "egg crate"--the plastic lattice work that sits in fluorescent tube light fixtures.  A number of people use them to dry their cheeses on.  I've been pleased with mine.

Mike, where do you find the egg crate?  I went to Lowes today and had no luck...

Regarding mold...When to brush or when to clean it off...Is there any rule of when to get rid of it or when to keep it?  I have the Caerphilly that's now been in the cave for 4 weeks.  It hasn't had much of a mold problem but a few spots showed up so I just wiped it off with salt/vinegar and then wiped with coconut oil.  It's "sprouting" again so I was going to go and clean it.  However, the mold smells kind of like mushrooms (which I love by the way).  There are a few blue spots and a little bit of brown.  Here's a photo.