Okay, here are before and after the brushing pictures. I never flipped it, so the top is dry and the bottom is still moist. The after picture is of the moist bottom. Instead of just brushing off, some of the mold filaments clumped up. It's ugly for now, but hey, it's neglected. I actually think it might turn out okay, though I'm still pretty sure the mold will creep down in through the open rind and ribbon the cheese. It doesn't smell bad--I can smell a little "earth" (dirt...).
[img width= height= alt=picture of a moldy cheese]https://sphotos-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/994580_388737807918332_1435533112_n.jpg[/img]
[img width= height= alt=picture of a moldy cheese that has had the mold brushed down]https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1236571_388737834584996_333904596_n.jpg[/img]