Author Topic: Using a 26 gallon beer brewing kettle to make cheese.  (Read 1233 times)

Online Sweet Leaves Farm

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
Re: Using a 26 gallon beer brewing kettle to make cheese.
« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2014, 04:20:15 PM »
I looked at Wayne's setup, and if I could be certain about the wiring, I would like that idea. I could even let the water heat while I was out milking, then just pop the can in the warm water and start stirring. I bet John could whip up a controller that would make it all work. I need to figure out a good way to mount the elements, so we wouldn't have any chance of ZAP!
If I use the band heaters, I would buy the 3000 watt one, and just wire up a double breaker, we have room in the electric box in the garage. With the water heater elements, I would need to
do that anyway.
Jennifer Davenport

Offline pastpawn

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 7
  • It aint easy being cheesy
« Reply #61 on: December 08, 2014, 06:17:31 PM »
I looked at Wayne's setup, and if I could be certain about the wiring, I would like that idea. I could even let the water heat while I was out milking, then just pop the can in the warm water and start stirring. I bet John could whip up a controller that would make it all work. I need to figure out a good way to mount the elements, so we wouldn't have any chance of ZAP!
If I use the band heaters, I would buy the 3000 watt one, and just wire up a double breaker, we have room in the electric box in the garage. With the water heater elements, I would need to
do that anyway.

I highly recommend a GFCI breaker.  240V 30A GFCI breakers are expensive, but they are worth it.  I put one in my breaker box when I built my electric brewing system.  Make sure that the boiler is grounded. 
- Andrew

Online Sweet Leaves Farm

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2014, 04:20:18 AM »
Andrew, we have a whole house GFCI and all the breakers are GFCI also, they are the only ones that fit in the box. As for grounding the metal stand, would having it set on the concrete floor be enough, or would I have to do something else? The ground rod for the house is buried in the footer for the garage.
Jennifer Davenport

Offline pastpawn

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 7
  • It aint easy being cheesy
« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2014, 11:59:40 AM »
Andrew, we have a whole house GFCI and all the breakers are GFCI also, they are the only ones that fit in the box. As for grounding the metal stand, would having it set on the concrete floor be enough, or would I have to do something else? The ground rod for the house is buried in the footer for the garage.

If there are electrical stuff connected to your pot, the metal pot needs to be connected to a ground in your house.  It's the green wire in the house wiring.  You can run a piece of bare copper wire from the pot to an outlet.  Without grounding, the breaker won't trip if there's a short in the pot.
- Andrew

Offline John@PC

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 39
  • Default personal text
    • Perfect Cheese
« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2014, 04:47:48 PM »
If there are electrical stuff connected to your pot, the metal pot needs to be connected to a ground in your house.  It's the green wire in the house wiring.  You can run a piece of bare copper wire from the pot to an outlet.  Without grounding, the breaker won't trip if there's a short in the pot.
Andrew is right (as usual) but in the case you do use a band heater I would expect the metal band to be grounded.  GFIC's will not trip if you have a hot-to-neutral (black to white) short; only if it's across ground.  Note that I have not tested this personally  :o so I can't attest.

Offline smolt1

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 15
  • Default personal text
    • SturdyPress.com
« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2014, 05:17:55 PM »
You are correct John, The the ground fault interrupt only protects a fault to ground ( like through your body ). It cuts the current off very fast when it gets to a few mill-amps to ground. The regular breaker cuts the current off when it gets to the rated current ( 20 amps for a 20 amp breaker ) to keep the # 12 ( 20 amp rated )wire from over heating. One saves you, the other saves your house.