Author Topic: Sousvide Supreme as a vat?  (Read 1715 times)

Spoons

Sousvide Supreme as a vat?
« on: August 17, 2013, 07:49:45 PM »
Hi all,

I had to stop making cheese at home a few years ago. I moved and my kitchen is rather ill equipped for home cheese making, but I can't get rid of the itch! I need to get back into making cheese :)

I was looking at the Sousvide Supreme as a solution for a vat. It is limited to only 10L batches, but I'm ok with that. Additionally, it has a heat range of 86F to 211F. Perfect for cheese making! Can also be used to melt cheese wax.

What I want to know is; anyone here know if this machine is any good during the curd cooking process? (i.e. raising temp to 102F in 40 mins). Before I invest in a $460 machine, I'd like to know if pressing on the (+) button is responsive and quick enough to raise 10L content by 2F every 5 minutes.

http://www.sousvidesupreme.com/Shop_Online/Water_Ovens/SousVide_Supreme/Product.aspx?ProductID=21&DeptID=34&&

« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 11:57:52 PM by Spoons »

LoftyNotions

Re: Sousvide Supreme as a vat?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 04:06:49 PM »
I realize this question was raised over a year ago, but in case anyone else wonders, here’s my take on it.
Test conditions were:
Water filled to the max level line
Lid off during the test
Starting temp set to 140°F
Starting water temperature 75°F

Breaking the question down a bit, the Sous Vide Supreme is capable of raising temperature at a rate of about 1.3°F per minute, or 52 degrees in 40 minutes. As far as controlling temperatures goes, the sequence of button presses necessary for a temperature change is <Set Temperature>, <Adjust Temperature (one press per degree)>, <Start>. So, the machine is capable if you want to manually control it. Setting temperature isn’t a matter of just 1 button press. Also, the buttons are membrane switches, and not really easy to actuate. Temperature control is stable and accurate though.

One thing to keep in mind is that the liquid containment vessel is not removable from the device. You can’t just pull a pan out of the machine and throw it in the sink.
I don’t think it would be a good idea to try to melt wax in the SVS.

HTH,
Larry