Author Topic: Hello from BC  (Read 1109 times)

chevre au lait

Hello from BC
« on: August 17, 2013, 09:31:40 PM »
Hello,
I live in British Columbia and have just started keeping dairy goats, in order to make cheese, which I love, and because I need a new hobby or two.  I have much to learn, so will probably be reading more than posting, but thought it would be polite to remove my lurker's mask.  I don't know why it didn't dawn on me to look for a cheese forum, sooner! 
Looking forward to spending time here over my second cup,
-Chevre au Lait

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
Re: Hello from BC
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 02:24:15 AM »
Welcome!  You'll find that many forum members have dairy animals.  happy to have you here.  What breed of goats do you have? 

jwalker

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 01:05:00 PM »
Welcome , I live in BC as well , I don"t keep goats or cows , make most of my cheese from store bought milk , but occasionally get goat or fresh cows milk from my neighbors.

Have you made any cheese yet ?

This is a good place to start.

chevre au lait

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 05:55:58 PM »
Hi, Tiarella and JWalker!  Thank you for the welcoming words!

Like you, Tiarella, I have Nigerian Dwarfs.  I chose them both because of their small, manageable size (mostly just me handling them) AND because of their high fat milk.  Fat may be out of fashion these days, but low fat cheese...???!  I guess I just have to be contrary to the trend.   ;D 

JWalker, I don't think I've ever been to Creston, but I saw the picture you posted looking across the valley from a Balancing Rock.  Nice and spacious feel to that view.  Looked like a lot of grazing land in the foreground.

I have indeed made cheese, several small batches in the Brousse style; experimenting as well with how to serve it, and how long it really keeps.  After two weeks in the fridge, it's still good, not that I don't prefer it freshly made.  It's good on buckwheat pancakes; when mixed with fresh thyme and garlic scapes and folded into an omelette, it is outstanding!  Since my doe is drying off, ready for breeding again, I'm only getting a little milk at present; but one of the virtues of the Brousse style is that even if the milk is starting to turn a little while being saved to get enough to make a batch,  ::) as a vinegar cheese it is getting soured anyhow, so that doesn't matter.  The sourness adds depth.  Brousse has been a great choice in a less-than-ideal milk situation, as it can be made in small batches and the instant gratification equates with encouragement, for me!  Although I'm looking forward to graduating to mould-ripened cheeses when I have milk in quantity again.

jwalker

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 06:51:43 PM »
Well , I think I may really have ADD , after seeing your name half a dozen times , it just now sunk in. :o

I like it , in fact I have three of their pickup trucks. ;D

And yes , there are quite a few dairy farms in the Creston valley , very good pasture land indeed.

Welcome again.