Author Topic: Bloomy Rind Take Two - Raw Milk Version  (Read 2676 times)

Smurfmacaw

Bloomy Rind Take Two - Raw Milk Version
« on: August 18, 2013, 09:38:08 PM »
I really enjoyed the first round with "Annette" from WA Cheese (thanks Linuxboy) that I decided to make it again with raw milk to see if there is really a discernable difference.  Milk is fresh from Nubian goats.  Half was from yesterdays milking and half from today's.

Ingredients:

2 Gal raw goats milk (Nubian)
1/2 cup Flora Danica starter (1.5%)  (I'll try 2.0% next time to see how it affects the acidification and timing of the make)
1/8 tsp SAM-3 P.Candidum
two skewer tips G. Candidum
two drops diluted calf rennet

Also this is my first chance to play with my new pH meter (Hanna 99161) so lots of fun.

Began by heating the milk to 85 degrees.  pH measured at 6.38
Added molds and starter.  Starter pH was 4.42.  Milk pH after addition of starter was 6.32. 
Added rennet and stirred well.
Maintained temp and achieved the following pH curve:

t0 - 6.32
t30 - 6.31
t90 - 6.28
t150 - 6.18
t210 - 6.03 (starting to accelerate)
t270 - 5.77
t300 - 5.33
t360 - 4.95
t400 - 4.83

pH curve was pretty much as expected....pretty slow to start dropping then exponentially faster until it started approaching 4.8 where is slowed down substantially.

At pH 4.83 I scooped the curd into a cloth lined colander and let drain for 10 minutes.  pH 4.79. 

Scooped long thin ribbons into two pyramid and two tapered cylinder molds.   

Flipped the molds on bamboo matting every thirty minutes for 8 flips then let it go overnight.

Next morning demolded and salted with 1 tsp pure salt on each cheese. 

This afternoon it's sitting with a fan blowing indirectly on it to dry the surfaces and it's coming along.  Will put the ash on it this evening and then into the cave with it.

Smurfmacaw

Re: Bloomy Rind Take Two - Raw Milk Version
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 07:39:59 PM »
Pic's two and four days after the make.  The molds are coming in strong.

linuxboy

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 08:02:10 PM »
Scooped long thin ribbons
I don't recall if I included that detail, but long, thin ribbons are the ideal curd cut for this style. You don't want cubes/scoops. You want nice fracture lines and to create opportunities for whey drain by having thin long strips. So kudos, that's really nice work. It's one of the most overlooked techniques in lactics and semi-lactics.

Smurfmacaw

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 06:10:42 AM »
First try tomorrow.......

Smurfmacaw

Re: Bloomy Rind Take Two - Raw Milk Version - Raw Milk is Better
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 09:27:40 PM »
Cut open the first of the Annettes today.  Appearance is right on and texture is pretty much textbook Valencay.  There is about 3/8 inch (sorry all you metric users, my brain still visually identifies sizes in inches) of nice translucent proteolyzed cheese under the rind.  The rind is perfect, barely noticeable  but looks really cool.  The center is slightly chalky but nicely mild in flavor.  The proteolyzed border is well flavored and the salt level is exactly like i like it.  I salted slightly heavier than the last batch since I like salty cheese so this one came out tasting really nice.

The flavor is very "broad" compared to the pasturized version.  I wish I had the two to compare side by side but the flavor definitely entertains the tongue much more than the unpasturized version.  Much more depth although the pasturized version was quite nice as well, it was just more one dimensional.....many more subtle flavors playing in the background with this one.

I guess if I had one complaint about this cheese is I would rather have a moister center but I think it really captures the valencay style nicely, it's just a personal preference of mine (to be totally truthful, I'd like to have one proteolyzed all the way to the center so I'll try a different form factor to see if that's achievable). 

Definitely a winner. 

cheeseslovesu

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 03:53:23 AM »
Nice looking cheeses!

I am thinking of purchasing the Hanna 99161 on Monday, I have just researched pH meters for the past 4 hours and my brain is fried. What are you thoughts - is it calibrating OK? Any problems?

I am practicing TA so think its time to pH as well.