Author Topic: Help on Brie rind please - Cheese novice  (Read 6369 times)

Cheesey Grin

Re: Help on Brie rind please - Cheese novice
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2013, 09:22:14 PM »
Found the post about harvesting PC and PR which Boofer mentioned from Jeff Hamm - thanks for pointing it out, it sounds as if it will be great for me just like them not doing enough to justify the packets, if anyone is interested the post is called SUCCESS!!!!!!!
Re: SUCCESS!!!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2013, 07:46:10 PM »
Hi orion113,

A slurry is when you harvest mould from an existing cheese. So, he took a piece of Danish Blue, scraped out a bunch of blue mould from it, and probably mashed it about in some warm water or milk. Remove the chunky bits. Pour this "slurry" into your milk. That will get the mould spores into your milk. I do this to get moulds for cam's and brie's and blues because I don't make enough of either to warrant buying and keeping the spores in the freezer.

- Jeff

High Altitude

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2013, 11:17:40 PM »
Many have recommended Gianaclis Caldwell, and that is where I'm headed next!  Thanks!

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2013, 11:03:13 AM »
High Altitude, I do like Caldwell's book a lot so I'm glad you're going to get that one.  Anyone else notice that Chelsea Green Publishing has an amazing summer book sale.  Got a $35 cheese book for $3.50 and another one for 6 something.!  Do check it out.  Books are 25,50,75, and 90% off right now. 

Cheesy Grin,  sounds like you are less stressed about every little detail and hitting targets exactly now.  That's great.  I got there after comparing 3 or 4 recipes for the same cheese and noticing over and over again that there is more than one way to make each cheese.  I've finally decided to use recipes as guidelines.  Many days I just decide that I'm making cheese and don't try to aim for a particular named variety.  Even if I do try to follow exactly it seems like there are so many variables that each cheese will be different.  I've joked that I'll have to give each batch it's own variety name since nothing has ever reallly been repeated despite attempts. 

I really like experimenting (you'll find them if you search the threads I've started) and these days I'm particularly fond o making tommes.  Since tomme just means cheese it suits me well.  There is infinite variety in named tommes and texture, hardness, etc.  I also really like to experiment with natural rinds although I need a better aging place to do as much as I'd like with this. 

A cheese I can highly recommend is Caerphilly since it's ready soon or you can age it out.  Coatings are fun and easy ways to add variety to it.  Smoked Paprika is a favorite of mine bit another forum member used a chipotle coating that was great although a little spicy for me.  (she lives 20 minutes away so we share cheese tastes)
carry on!   :D

Spellogue

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2013, 02:46:52 PM »
...there is more than one way to make each cheese.  I've finally decided to use recipes as guidelines.  Many days I just decide that I'm making cheese and don't try to aim for a particular named variety.  Even if I do try to follow exactly it seems like there are so many variables that each cheese will be different.  I've joked that I'll have to give each batch it's own variety name since nothing has ever reallly been repeated despite attempts. 

I really like experimenting...

Me too.  It's so much of the fun of cheesemaking for me.  I can't reinforce enough the importance of taking good notes of each make in fine-tuning ones own personal style.  Wanting to reproduce successes I've been frustrated on more than one occasion when I didn't note enough detail, or any at all in two instances.

Cheesey,  as to your neon green spot(s).  I'll note that on a number of occasions I've turned up bright yellow spots early in the development of a geo rind,  normally it starts as a borderline chartreuse, but it has always faded to being hardly noticeable in the finished cheese.

Cheesey Grin

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2013, 05:38:29 PM »
Tiarella
Yes I am much more chilled about it all now. It has been particularly useful to browse the boards and see photos and notes from others as I was thinking when mine seemed to be going wrong that I must not have been precise enough and that was the problem. I can see in the photos that other people are just doing cheese on their kitchen table and have ripening boxes that look just like mine and have fluctuating temperatures and humidities etc, just like me. Very reassuring that I am actually doing it just like you all are.

I have to confess :-[ that as I was preoccupied with the thought that I was going to have to chuck the whole lot (and forfeit the cost) as it was getting too 'off', that we decided to try and cut our losses and tried a bit of the first 5 inch cheese. The middle and oozy bit under the skin seemed OK - just the rind that smelt bad - so we chanced our health, cut off the rind and the next day there were no ill effects! So we have 'destroyed the evidence' - ie eaten it all and the big 8 inch one too - it was a bit piggy but I have to say I have never had such luxurious cheese on toast :D ! Slice of homemade bread, home grown tomatoes homegrown basil and toasted oozy cheese.

Actually having been put back in the cave in the colder side the smell did seem to have subsided and the greenness also.

It is VERY interesting what Spellogue said
[/quote]

Cheesey,  as to your neon green spot(s).  I'll note that on a number of occasions I've turned up bright yellow spots early in the development of a geo rind,  normally it starts as a borderline chartreuse, but it has always faded to being hardly noticeable in the finished cheese.
[/quote]

With all the feedback from you all I think probably I have just ended up with geo and little or no PC as there is none much to see, and you all think what there is to see is geo. Probably because too warm and too humid and weak PC.

Even though the cheese was supposed to have weeks to go yet it seemed already very brie like and 'done'.
It tasted like brie and had the oozy runny bit round the edge so actually we are not too disappointed as we did get to enjoy it all and it wasn't far off our expectation.
Perhaps I should have stuck it out and continued but I am happy we cut our losses and ate what we had. There is always next time!

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2013, 07:21:13 PM »
You might try some Valencay style cheeses.  They are dusted with an ash/salt mixture and maybe less likely to have Geo dominance.  I like to make them in many small sizes so I can eat several and still have more left.  I got very cheaply some supposedly disposable small chevre molds and use them over and over again for Valencay style.  Anyway.....it's another easy and forgiving make that will be lovely on your toast.    :D

Cheesey Grin

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2013, 04:37:01 PM »
Just Googled Chartreuse as I was not familiar with it and wow - yes Spellogue that is exactly what it looked like - so thanks for that as I think that solves the mystery. :)