Author Topic: Jarlsberg knit question (my second one, bigger)  (Read 2267 times)

DrChile

Jarlsberg knit question (my second one, bigger)
« on: August 22, 2013, 07:21:45 PM »
So... I've been making some hard cheeses with smaller mold and 2 gallons milk and had a great first jarlsberg. But, I wanted bigger.  So I got an extra large tomme mold with follower that will holds curds from 3-7 gallons (7 7/8 inch diameter, 6 inch high).  I wanted to go big on my next jarlsberg make so I made a 4 gallon batch.

By the way - a shout out of huge thanks to Sailor - I followed his mother culture instructions and it worked fantastically.  Saved time and coin.  Thanks!

Recipe:
4 gallon whole milk (pasteurized, homogenized) heated to 98 F on a water bath.
Added 1/8 tsp propionic at temp of 90
Inoculated with 1.5% flora Danica at 98 f
(Spend countless hours researching Meso vs thermo for this make - decided on flora Danica)
Added 1 tsp calcium chloride (diluted)
Added 1/2 tsp liquid rennet (diluted)
Floc time 8 min
Multiplier 3.5

Cut into 1 inch cubes.
Let rest for 5 minutes
Stirred for 20 min at 98 F (more like 97)
Curd size down to pea size.
Removed approximately 40% of whey and slowly added 130 degree water to reach final cook temp of 102 F over 25 minutes.
Stirred at 102 for another 30 minutes.
Removed whey to level of curd and consolidated curd mass under remaining whey.  Gathered curd into cheesecloth and placed in mold. Pressed with 8 lbs under whey for 20 minutes.
Removed from whey, flipped, redressed, and pressed again with 8 lbs for 30 minutes.
Flipped, redressed, and pressed with 30 lbs for 8 hrs.

I then brined in sat solution for 4.5 hrs (was reading that PS is salt sensitive so went a little shorter this time around since my eye formation last time was small).

So... Question is related to the knit of the curds - see pic.
I feel like I pressed too little initially or didn't turn and flip as much as I should have at 30 lbs
I also would like to learn more about psi (as I have the awesome sturdy press now).
Any suggestions for a closer knit giving above, including references for psi ref points for cheeses.

Any suggestions for the next steps (particularly the second stage - I will oil it to prevent cracking but have entertained cutting off a bit to get it uniform. Too extreme?)

Thanks!

Trent

DrChile

Re: Jarlsberg knit question (my second one, bigger)
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 03:57:28 PM »
Answered my own question from searching.  Press under warm whey by hand in mold to achieve a better knit.  Also searched a got more info re psi (realize that one can't give standard psi for a given make, is my understanding).
Trent

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 01:40:17 PM »
Seems like you're tuned in, Trent:
  • Using mesophilic for Jarlsberg (a Goutaler style cheese)
  • Watching the salt level so that the PS is happy.
  • Working towards a smoother-knit rind by pressing under warm whey.
  • Eyeing pressing power to ensure the curds get up close and personal.
After you've brined, I would not cut into the rind "to get it uniform". The brining performs a number of functions including delivering salt content to the cheese innards and helping to seal the rind from future interlopers.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

DrChile

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 02:04:44 AM »
Thanks Boofer - I've not cut it or altered it after brining and it's looking good. Another day or so before it hits the warming phase.  Exciting!

Trent

mjr522

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 03:06:58 AM »
This might be what Boofer was saying, but just in case it wasn't I wanted to bring up this point.  While I'm not certain, I would think that another reason not to cut anything off after brining is that the salt level hasn't reached equilibrium yet--that is, the salt concentration on the outside of the cheese is a lot higher than what's on the inside.  It will still take some time for the salt to migrate in towards the center.  If you cut off some of the rind right after brining, you'll be removing the area of highest salt concentration and will reduce the total salt content more than you might think, and messing with the distribution.

DrChile

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 02:36:15 AM »
Update.
After 4 weeks+ at room temp (70-75, occasional maxes of 78 occurred), and rind washings I had a nice schmier (sp?) going.  Great smell.  Didn't swell up like my first, though.  Slightly disappointed, but I take heart because I think Boofer had posted a similar situation in his early days of jarlsberg making. I think may lack of swelling was due to lack of knitting - if I compared to pictures, the pits and signs of the early cheese out of the press had leveled off and there was some swelling going on.  I then panicked and waxed it.  Wasn't sure of myself to continue with the natural rind.  In the process of waxing, I spilled a fair bit and have vowed to get 1) get a foodsaver come the holidays (or for my birthday in Nov) or 2) go for it and the natural rind thing.  I can still feel the wax residue on my fingers as I type this... Not giving up totally on wax, but I've read enough on here to think there may be better ways to affinage out there.
Will give this guy another 4-6 weeks before testing out.

JeffHamm

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 05:51:19 AM »
Looking good.  The mother culture works great.  I freeze mine in ice cubes and it will keep for quite a long time. 

- Jeff