Author Topic: Unexpected washed rind  (Read 1811 times)

Offline Albert

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 5
  • Default personal text
Unexpected washed rind
« on: September 08, 2013, 07:44:10 AM »
Well, originally I was trying to make a semi-hard raw goat's cheese, but due to many unwanted moulds I wash it several times. 60days later, the result is a more soft cheese than expected and a lot of little holes into the cheese. The rind is sticky and full ob b.linens. The smell of the cheese is hard to explain. Not really bad, but not so good. I'm not sure if this cheese is ok to eat or it's contaminated. What's your opinion?
Thank you very much and sorry if my english is not correct.

Spellogue

Re: Unexpected washed rind
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 03:37:45 PM »
That's a pretty cheese.

Yes, that smell is one that the average Joe does not associate with food, but the flavor of a b.l. ripened cheese can be a delightful thing.  I'm about 30 days into a washed rind goat cheese now that I plan to age for 3-4 months.  If I hadn't made a washed rind before, I'd probably be considering feeding it to the chickens each time I wash it.

I expect your cheese will be very tasty.  I would even encourage you to sample the rind (but perhaps not on the very first bite.). You can try rinsing the rind off to tame it down before serving if you really find it objectionable.   

On my washed rinds, the b.l. usually continues to grow after cutting as I don't yet have a vacuum sealer. That provides for ongoing flavor variety, but makes it difficult for me to halt the development right where I like it and so when I find that point I just eat it quicker.

Push through that questionable aroma.  The flavors on the other side are almost certain to be worth it.  I like to pair washed rinds with a Belgian triple ale, but as yours is a little younger it might be a bit sharper and do well along side a local red wine like a Priorat or Rioja.

Let us know how your tasting goes.

FRANCOIS

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 08:12:14 PM »
All the little holes look like coliform contamination.  While it won't kill you, it will impart some unfavorable flavours.  Coliform is a contact contaminate and usually comes from equipment that hasn't been properly sanitised during the make process.

Tomer1

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 07:54:45 AM »
Looks like contamination. Is it spongy?