Author Topic: First Reblochon  (Read 4181 times)

Smurfmacaw

First Reblochon
« on: August 23, 2013, 07:54:07 PM »
I've been watching these go by and since I really like both this particular cheese and the whole washed rind affinage I decided to go for it.  I stuck pretty much exactly to Yoav's (iratherfly) recipe in his primer.

1.5 gallons raw cows milk (next week I think I'll do two or three gallons of raw goats milk)
Flora Danica Mother culture (three cubes)
TA-61 Mother (three cubes)
Usually I like to just make fresh mother culture but I had something to do last night so had to use some I had frozen. (very convenient)
12 drops calf rennet - diluted
1/8 tsp PLA

Added culture cubes and heated the milk to 94 degrees (94.8 actually).  pH at start was 6.59.
Added PLA and stirred.
Monitered pH closely and after 35 min it was pH 6.54 so I added the rennet and stirred well.
Floc time of 10'25".  floc multiplier of 2.5 gives total coagulation time of 26 minutes.
cut into 3/4" grid then used whisk to cut into approximately 1/4" pieces.
Stirred for 15 minutes gently.
pH 6.45 so I put into cheesecloth lined molds.  Was planning on three but only enough curd for two molds.  Next time three gallons and four molds.
pressed with 7lb's across both molds.  3.5 pounds per mold (yes Mike, they are equidistant  ;) ) should be close enough.
flipped after 30 minutes and looking good.
I've adjusted the temp in cheese cave #2 to 62 degrees for the "yeasting" phase.

Hoping this comes out as good as it sounds.  This was a really easy make....maybe too easy....what did I forget....uh oh.....now I think I'll go needlessly worry for a while.  I think this one is all in the affinage.

Pics will come when appropriate.

cheers

Mike

Smurfmacaw

Re: First Reblochon First pic
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 08:45:38 PM »
Here's one of the cheeses after the second flip.  Looking pretty good.

Smurfmacaw

Re: First Reblochon
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 05:25:14 PM »
Today was the last washing for this cheese.  I'll let it dry for a day or two and then wrap it to let it finish aging in the reefer.  I'll post some pics but the color is coming up nicely.  Some light orangish and some flourescent yellow from the B. Linens.  Smell is still mild but I'm thinking this one is going to come out ok.

Tiss

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 01:26:14 AM »
I can't wait to see! I have one about 3 weeks along now. I added a little Geotricum to the curd- Cheesemaking.com mentioned that as an option. I went to turn it today and was shocked by how soft it had gotten. I put a nice big thumbprint in the side. Doh.

Smurfmacaw

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 01:23:22 PM »
Mine are in the cold aging period so about three or so more weeks.  I just got some different cheese paper (some of the clear kind from artisan geek) so I'm going to rewrap them.  The goat versions that I'm still washing are already getting kind of soft.  The PLA already has GC in it so I didn't need to add any more.  I think the BL in the PLA is more of a muted color but they were a pale golden orangish color when I finished the washing period.  Can't wait to see how they turn out since I do like a nice gooey cheese.

Smurfmacaw

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 01:53:33 AM »
I cut into one of the Reblochons yesterday and it came out awesome.  I think it needs another week or two since I like they really gooey but it has a really good mild flavor (smell is another story).

Very mild milky flavor with a distinct barnyardy background.  My wife is asking what the "smell" coming from the fridge is from but is being tolerant since she likes good cheese these days.

Totally impressed, not sure exactly what I need to do to make it gooier but will try harder next time.  That being said, it's very soft and the flavor is what I expected.  Overall a success.  I can't wait to let the other one age two more weeks and then to try it against the goat version.

The pics are when it's cold. It actually slumped a little when it warmed up.  It was AWESOME in a mushroom Roblechon omelet.

Some Pics

Tomer1

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 10:41:46 AM »
BAM! paste looks spot on! 

Shazah

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 11:13:17 AM »
I agree with Tomer1.  You have nailed it! Yummmm

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 01:58:41 PM »
Totally impressed, not sure exactly what I need to do to make it gooier but will try harder next time.  That being said, it's very soft and the flavor is what I expected.  Overall a success.
Excellent effort! A cheese for your success.

You might comb through the Reblochon threads, looking for tips on making it gooier. I recall that was my goal as well, hence the thread family of Gooey & Sinful.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Spellogue

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013, 06:42:29 PM »
Looks yummy.  Interesting to see a rosy hue arise seeing you used PLA.  To what might you attribute that?

Smurfmacaw

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2013, 10:07:13 PM »
I think it's the BL in the mixture.  You should see the goat versions I did (Chevrotin).  They turned a really nice shade of orangy red.  I'll post pics later when i get home.  Taste is really good and the rind is exactly like the commercial variants I've tried (not really reblochon since they were made from pasturized milk but nice artisan examples.)

Spellogue

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2013, 06:50:23 PM »
I made a chevrotin using PLA that is aging now.  It's turning a flaxen color at this point.  I suppose there are a large number of variables that can steer the cheese to a vast number of different results.