Author Topic: PH dropping too fast  (Read 2444 times)

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
PH dropping too fast
« on: October 29, 2013, 02:20:06 AM »
With my caerphilly make yesterday, I switched starter from Flora Danica to MA4001, trying to keep other variables the same, because I wanted to see what difference there might be in the make, and in the taste later on. (I have a FD Caerphilly made 2 weeks ago).
With the FD caerphilly, it took about 2 hours between cutting the curd, and pH drop to 6.4 for draining. With the MA4001, the time was barely over an hour. In fact, the pH was 6.4 earlier, but I tried to hold it there by removing 1/3 of the whey, and then I stirred more vigorously to try and get more whey out of the curd as it was very soft.
The ending pH this morning was 5.5, which is what I usually have for caerphilly.
Was this a logical response to the ph dropping before the curd had lost enough whey?
Susan

Spoons

Re: PH dropping too fast
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 01:10:27 PM »
FD is a slow acidifier mostly used in addition to a starter. MA4001 acidifies faster at a medium rate. MA011 acidifies even faster than the MA4001. So you need to adjust your recipe targets and expect shorter times in between certain steps if you change your acidifying rate.

dthelmers

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 01:44:17 PM »
I make Caerphilly regularly. I started with Flora Danica because I like the taste, but I found it kind of lazy, so I switched over to MM100, which gave me the same taste but acidified much faster.

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 12:09:18 AM »
Does anyone know of a website with graphical representations of  "typical" pH curves for different cultures? Eg Flora Danica versus Ma4001 or MM100... I am a visual learner!
Susan

Tomer1

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 12:31:47 AM »
You can find it in the product technical spec sheet

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 12:34:29 AM »
I have not seen a product technical spec sheet with anything I have ordered. Where do you see this Tomer?
Susan

Spoons

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 01:59:14 AM »
You can find complete data specs on thecheesemaker website. Glengarry has a simpler comprehensive chart for home cheese makers with an easy peasy +++ rating system.

https://www.thecheesemaker.com/pdf/Flora_Danica_Specs.pdf
http://glengarrycheesemaking.on.ca/starters.htm

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 03:33:48 AM »
Thank you Spoons! Unfortunately, it looks like the FD is the only one with a graph of expected pH change at different temperatures.  Bummer.
Susan

linuxboy

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 04:37:40 AM »
We should have these in the library here on the forum. ask your supplier if we don't