Author Topic: Large Parmesan (8 gallon)  (Read 2809 times)

DrChile

Large Parmesan (8 gallon)
« on: November 20, 2013, 05:06:07 AM »
I keep looking at Mike's post about a 12 gallon Parmesan and I find a growing desire to do something large as well...  My wife said "try it small first, you're a little crazy" and I said "true.  i am crazy.  crazy cool." "good point, honey - but I got to try"

Not quite as big as Mike's as my equipment won't allow for more than 8 gallons.  But here it goes:

8 gallons p/h milk (5 skim milk, 2 1%, and one whole milk)
Heated to 93 F.
added 2 tsp calcium chloride
Innoculated with 1.5 % bulk  thermophilic culture
Added 1 3/4 tsp rennet
Floc time was 10 minutes (one disclaimer - I did this make simultaneously in two 4 gallon batches - see photo 1.  Above measurements represent totals for the 8 gallon make; floc time for one was 11 minutes, the other was 10 minutes)
Floc multiplier: 2
Cut 1/2 inch and let rest 10 minutes.
Stirred with wire whisk down to pea size while increasing temp over the next 50 minutes.
(Target temp was 124 - I ended up at 126 and 128 in each batch)
Let settle for 5 minutes.
Placed all curds in 8 inch diameter mold and hand pressed under hot whey to achieve a good knit.  Flipped and redressed and hand pressed under hot whey again.
Pressed (in the sturdy press) at 0.9 psi for 1 hr.
Flipped and pressed at 1.7 psi for 2 hrs
Flipped and pressed at 1.7 psi another 10 hrs.
Placed in 22% brine for 15 hrs (2.5 inch height x 5.5 lb cheese = 13 3/4 hrs - went a little longer)

Now air drying.

My calculations show this to be 7.9% yield (5.5 lbs).
I'm rather pleased with the knit (photo 2).  Still unsure if I brined correctly.  And I feel I got lucky that I didn't have a major mishap with one of the batches.  Grateful that my 12 year old helped me as well

I'm also rather pleased with all the ricotta I made from the whey...(third photo)

Plan to for at least one year...  Maybe longer.  I welcome thoughts and critiques...

Trent

GlennK

Re: Large Parmesan (8 gallon)
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 11:30:01 AM »
Nice looking cheese! How long are you planning on aging them? 

DrChile

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 01:22:37 PM »
Thanks!
Planning on aging it for a minimum of one year.

Trent

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 02:55:30 PM »
Still unsure if I brined correctly.  And I feel I got lucky that I didn't have a major mishap with one of the batches.
Why do you have brining doubts?

Seems like there's a backstory hidden in "major mishap". Details? :)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

DrChile

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 06:22:46 PM »
Brining doubts - maybe just need confirmation that the brining time was appropriate and given this was my first cheese this large, I had some issues finding a large enough container for the brine.  It all worked out then :D

Major mishaps backstory (and there are plenty):  My previous experience in the lab when dividing an experiment into two separate parts and having one fail (never a good idea - intuitive, I know).  Also, previous experience with my 5 year olds vying for my attention while dosing out my rennet can lead to a major mishap ;D

Trent 

mjr522

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 02:28:33 AM »
Looks fantastic!  I've now made 4 "big" cheeses (3 of which were unintentionally low fat...), but haven't tried any of them.  I hope both yours and mine turn out great (in a year).