Author Topic: Our Adventure starts!  (Read 2061 times)

Tobiasrer

Our Adventure starts!
« on: August 29, 2013, 03:40:24 AM »
So many of you may know me, I have been on here for while, but its also been a while since I was on.
Has been a very busy summer, which means no Cheese :-( which is especially sad since i started the year hopping to do one a month this year, and I have done one all year! LOL

But anyways i have bigger plans now! we have taken the keys and moved into our new home, on 10 amazing acres with a small creek bordering one side! We are sooo happy here so far
and I have my wife on side to get a goat and a calf.... meaning soon no more buying milk at the store!!
AND there is an old farm house that is structural great but needing some cosmetic love! which will mean no mess and space in my wife's kitchen, so less yelling too!  ;)

Cant wait for spring! and all the fun. But have time now to check fences, find hay, research my choices, and get everything ready, no cart before the horse as I usually do LOL, so stay posted!

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
Re: Our Adventure starts!
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 03:56:18 AM »
Congratulations! It sounds like a dream!
Susan

Denise

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 04:50:30 AM »
Sounds like a little bit of heaven. Congratulations. ^-^

tnbquilt

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 10:18:11 PM »
Congratulations, it sounds perfect.

Geodyne

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 11:43:48 PM »
How marvelous! Sounds like heaven. It's something I've always had ambitions to do, and slowly creep closer towards.

There's a lot of hard work ahead of you - fencing being one of the most important - but so very worth it.

Tobiasrer

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 03:26:23 AM »
Thank you all!
Luckily it is fenced, I havent had a chance to walk all of it, though know it does need some work in some areas but mostly it is there!
Last weekend we bought our first animals...put the cart in front of the horse on that though! Had a spot for some chickens.. well Instead of one set I got 3 sets 5 quail and a Turkey!! LOL

Now humming and hawing over some registered Dexter Cattle I have found. My research has me preferring the Dexters, due to size and ease of raising with production (meat and milk). But I am thinking waiting for spring will be better!

Any info or opinion on Dexters would be great!

ellenspn

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 04:53:28 AM »
I thought Dexters were escape artists  >:D

Good luck with the flock!

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 11:39:43 AM »
I raised Dexter cattle when they were rare in this country.  My advice, make sure you get tame ones and handle them a LOT if you expect to milk. Also make sure you check milk production and quality of udder in the herd before you buy.  If you buy from a herd that doesn't milk or doesn't expect much milk you might get cows who produce enough for a calf but not much more.  That can be very frustrating.  Do the same for the goats. 

Do you have predator problems in that area?  Will you be living on this property and if not,  how far is it from where you are living?

Sounds great!  I love having livestock.......and lots of gardens.  Just harvest our first hazel nut crop.

Tobiasrer

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 04:24:09 AM »
We live here  ;D