Author Topic: Using a crock pot for waxing  (Read 3181 times)

bobbymac29649

Using a crock pot for waxing
« on: August 29, 2013, 03:41:20 PM »
I've read a few places that some prefer using an old crock pot for waxing their cheeses.  You can just leave the wax in there when you're finished and the next time you need to wax just plug it in.  I was planning on picking one up from a garage sale or thrift store when I remembered the triple crockpot I have and pull out on holidays.  It's only $30 at Walmart.  The pots are each 8" x 6" (inside diameter).  One for black wax, one for red wax and one for yellow wax...
So, as a newbie, is melting wax in a crockpot the whey  ::) to go?  If so, I'll run and get me a second one of these that will be just for cheese waxing....

jwalker

Re: Using a crock pot for waxing
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 05:00:00 PM »
Yes they work , I used one for a while but found that it took forever tho melt the wax , I had to turn it on at least an hour before I planned on using it.

Then I found this little beauty at a yard sale , it is a 1 quart deep fryer , will melt the wax in about 5 minutes or less , you have to be careful to set the heat right so you don't start a fire though.

But the crock pots work OK if you don't mind waiting.

bobbymac29649

Re: Using a crock pot for waxing
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 05:11:08 PM »
The main reason I liked the triple thing was for the different colors of wax.  With my ADHD I can see myself blowing up the house with one like yours.  I'd turn it on, walk off and then suddenly decide that plants outside needed pruning or something. ::)
I'm forever leaving the room when I've got the pressure cooker going.  The funny thing is I'm always up on my soapbox telling everyone that when using a pressure cooker never leave the room.