Author Topic: New Member from the UK  (Read 2424 times)

CrystalWriter

New Member from the UK
« on: August 28, 2013, 12:12:30 PM »
Hello I'm Aileen, I've just joined up, after purchasing a cheesemaking kit and making my 1st mozzerella, now I'm hooked.

Whilst the 1st attempt turned into grains, and no where near mozzerella. After using bottled water and doubling the rennet. I made a very decent (if I say so myself) cheese.

However I used it on my pizza that night, as nothing was said about needing it to be matured. It was very tasty.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: New Member from the UK
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 01:20:30 PM »
Congrats, Aileen, and welcome to the forum.

Sounds like the pizza was much-improved as a result of your early cheesemaking efforts. :)

You're ahead of me...I have yet to do a mozzarella.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

CrystalWriter

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 02:19:43 PM »
TBF it was the 1st time I ever made cheese. I'm guessing there are easier cheeses to make prior to attempting mozzerella.

Congrats, Aileen, and welcome to the forum.

Sounds like the pizza was much-improved as a result of your early cheesemaking efforts. :)

You're ahead of me...I have yet to do a mozzarella.

-Boofer-

Denise

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 02:27:22 PM »
 Hello Aileen. I made mozzarella four times before I got it anything like! So you're ahead of me. The good thing about mozzarella is that you can check the results straight away, as there's no need to mature the cheese.

When you're ready to move on to hard cheeses, I would suggest a Caerphilly. It's quite easy to make and can be eaten after only three weeks, so the suspense is kept to a minimum. I'm still a beginner but I've made two Caerphillies so far, and they were both scrumptious.

CrystalWriter

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 01:34:59 PM »
In fairness the attempt which was successful was made with goats milk, as it's only lightly homeisized. So a slight cheat. I need to order some raw milk, which will give me more confidence in making more.

Hello Aileen. I made mozzarella four times before I got it anything like! So you're ahead of me. The good thing about mozzarella is that you can check the results straight away, as there's no need to mature the cheese.

When you're ready to move on to hard cheeses, I would suggest a Caerphilly. It's quite easy to make and can be eaten after only three weeks, so the suspense is kept to a minimum. I'm still a beginner but I've made two Caerphillies so far, and they were both scrumptious.

Vincengetorix

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 07:09:58 PM »
Hi Aileen

Like you, I too am a newbie who started a few weeks ago after being given a very basic cheese making kit.

Well, after a few Ricottas and Mozzarellas I purchased some liquid rennet, starters and moulds so I am now really experimenting with different cheeses and having great fun.

Out of interest I found a relatively easy way of controlling temperatures when ripening etc.

I use an electric frying pan containing a bit of water and use its element and  thermostat as the heat source, in this I stand an 11 litre pot  which also contains water and in this pot I stand another 8 litre pot into which I pour the milk.

Think of it as a double double boiler.

It works quite well and if it gets too warm, I just scoop out some of the warm water from the 11 litre pot and replace it with cold water.

Homecheesejack

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 08:34:42 AM »
Hello Aileen,

I'm thrilled that you enjoyed making cheese, and more so that you're hooked!

There are so many routes into making cheese, and it is much easier than people expect. Happy to help if you have any questions, or take a look at my website.

Best for the future,

Jack.

hoeklijn

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 03:11:40 PM »
Welcome from the neighborhood of the world famous city of Gouda, where only a crazy hobbyist like me is making something else than Gouda cheese...

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 10:23:46 PM »
Welcome from the neighborhood of the world famous city of Gouda, where only a crazy hobbyist like me is making something else than Gouda cheese...
Okay, Herman, you've got my attention. What are you up to these days?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

hoeklijn

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 06:12:01 AM »
Hi Boofer! I have't been posting too much this summer, was very busy with maintenance of the house. But I am picking up the cheese making again, with last weekend a batch of Gouda, 3 weeks ago a batch of Valencay. And I am co-organizing an open day for hobby cheese makers on an artisan dairy in the northern part of Holland where my Manchego, Valencay and a Gouda will be judged there by a professional.
And I've been setting up a Dutch forum with some info about cheese making, just to try to gather and inspire some Dutch people. Funny is that we have (Dutch) members now living in Austria, Germany, Norway and Denmark besides some Dutch and Belgian folks. And I've set up a Facebook page to get more attention for this forum and for cheese making. But it's all in the Dutch language :)...

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2013, 01:14:09 PM »
Boy, you're  busy guy! You're fortunate to have the professional judging your cheeses. Please post the final critique and your reactions. :)

Sounds like you're doing your part to spread the word about cheesemaking. I salute you for that effort. 8)

-Boofer-

Let's ferment something!