Author Topic: Should I worry about this sagging?  (Read 1235 times)

gsager18

Should I worry about this sagging?
« on: August 30, 2013, 06:06:38 AM »
I recently made a baby Swiss - my first 4-gallon make. It spent a week in my normal 53-degree aging space before I moved it to my "warm room" (aka the top of my fridge). It's on day 4 up there and the shape has changed pretty drastically. It went from about ad tall as it was wide to something that's now about twice as fat as it is tall. I expected it to change shape to some degree, but I'm worried about the stress being put on the rind here. Will it stabilize eventually or do I need to take some preventative measures to keep it from bursting?

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
Re: Should I worry about this sagging?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 10:57:34 AM »
This has happened to me a number of times with tommes.  In my cases it's been about too much whey still in the curds.  I should have cut the curds sooner before their bonds to the moisture became so strong that they wouldn't release it.  it'll likely be a moister cheese but this has happened a number of times for me and always been lovely cheeses.  it may not be the cheese you were aiming for but it'll be nice probably.  OF COURSE...I have no Swiss cheese experience so wait for some other answers.   :D

dthelmers

Re: Should I worry about this sagging?
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 01:10:42 PM »
I've had this happen to me on a Swiss. I put it back in the mold to support it and it came out fine.