Author Topic: First attempt at a St Albray  (Read 4524 times)

Spellogue

First attempt at a St Albray
« on: September 03, 2013, 12:38:29 AM »
So inspired by the thread Herman started inquiring into this cheese, I started into my own version a while back.  Just now getting to posting pictures and notes.  I'll be tasting soon, in perhaps a week.

7/28. Funky CdP
8 quart raw nubian/lamancha/ND goat milk.
Bring to 80F
  1/16 tsp meso 101
   1/8 tsp. candidum VB
    1/16 tsp PLA
 9:12pm  Culture 90 minutes
  1/16,tsp calf rennet     5:58 pm.
Floc at 6:05pm. 7 min.
Multiplier. X5.  =  35mi      6:33pm
Cut into 1 inch cubes
Ladle curd into 4 cam molds. Drain  2 hrs room temp.  Flip and drain 2 hrs. Flip. And drain 12 hrs.  Remove from molds Salt and leave at room temp 12 more hrs. move to fridge. 
After 4 days aging wash with PLA innocculated 3% brine  ever day for 3 days.  Then 2x/week for 1 week.
Age at cool temp ( approx 49F) for 6 weeks, flipping and patting down PC growth

They seem to be coming along nicely.  There is a nice orange b.l. Layer under the felt that the photos don't do justice.

Here is the inspiring post:
http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,11576.0.html
Thanks @hoeklijn @francois et al. 

hoeklijn

Re: First attempt at a St Albray
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 03:15:39 PM »
Well, I'm glad I could be of ny help  ;D
A cheese for you for these excelent looking cheeses. I didn't try them yet, they are stillon the wishlist.

Spellogue

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 06:18:33 PM »
Thanks Herman.

I'm hesitant to call them St.Albray, especially because I used goat milk and since I've never even eaten that actual cheese.  The photos and description just seemed so appealing I had to try. Perhaps it's something new.

In essence, I made Chèvre du Poitou substituting PLA for the geo and washing the rind just until the PC bloom began to show.  They seem a bit firm yet, just hovering on the cusp of delectability.   This will be my first make with PLA that i get to sample.  If these little gems taste as good as they look I'll be delighted.

Spellogue

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 06:35:48 PM »
I should say, I'm quite pleased with how these are turning out.  I ate one with the neighbor about two weeks ago with some Lake Ontario salmon he caught and smoked.  It was a good match.  The cheese was a bit underripe yet though. 

They're almost there.  I noticed a whiff of ammonia today. I aired them briefly and back into the cold cave (say kitchen fridge) they went.

hoeklijn

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 06:32:08 AM »
Well, since you made these with goat milk, try to get some charcoal powder and try Valencay. Just finished the last one of my second batch and I love them. Recipe is about the same, but you salt them with a mix of salt and charcoal powder.

Spellogue

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 12:01:23 AM »
Nice looking cheese, Herman.  Valencay is a favorite of mine too.  I usually do mine as a lactic coagulation, but I might try a bit more rennet on a future make and see how that turns out for me.

I really do like this b.l. + p.c.  combination rind.  I was surprised at how dark the PLA got under the fuzz.  I'll try to make a point of getting a photo when I cut into the next one.  It's got a layered effect too, like a Valencay, but with a burnt orange line rather than black.  I do think the b.l. Kept it from going toady as well.  The next go around will tell.

Spellogue

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 02:45:58 AM »
Dove into another of the St.Albrays earlier today.  Quite gooey, quite tasty.  It is an assertive cheese, but not over the top in my opinion.  It has that mushroomy aroma of a Camembert with an earthy twang of a soft washed rind that strikes high on the palate.  The rind wasn't unpleasant at all, but a sample of only the paste allowed more subtle nuances to show through. It would pair well with a robust wine like a peppery Australian Shiraz, but today I served it with a local microbrewed seasonal Red Stock Ale called Nostferatu from Great Lakes Brewing Co.  At 8% ABV with a strong hop character and a hint of sweetness, this full bodied Halloween favorite complimented my cheese nicely.

The St.Albray really come into its own at 8 weeks now.  I aged it slowly in a minicave at 45F. RH was only about 70% after the rind started to form.  Any warmer or more humid and I think it might have gotten out of hand. I've got one more left from this make that I suppose I'll want to eat within the next 10 days. 

High Altitude

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 03:01:12 AM »
Well, Spell...I am just so thoroughly enamored with your creation, that I just don't know what else to say but...

A cheese to you!

Digitalsmgital

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 03:32:22 AM »
Nice photos, wonderful description, top quality product, and served on my fav Trisquit with a strong ale? A cheese 4 U!

Spellogue

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 09:41:55 PM »
Thanks for the cheeses. 

I tastes a bit of the St Albray cold today and it exhibited a slight peppery bite in the finish that wasn't noticeable at room temp.  Of course cold, the attack was quite subdued but the BL funkiness still made itself known.  A cheese so righteously funky George Clinton would love it.  LOL  O0

Here's a link to the beer. You can get it in bottles throughout the Midwest.  It's one of my favorites, Great Lakes has been making it every fall for about the last 15 years.  The color of the brew was strikingly close to the shade of the BL under the PC in the rind:

http://www.greatlakesbrewing.com/uploads/Beer/WEB%20Profile%20Nosferatu%202012.pdf

Digitalsmgital

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 02:55:03 AM »
Next time I visit my only Aunt in Traverse City, MI I will get me some...born in Flint, MI, family from Toledo and Battle Creek...it's a shame I havent known Great Lakes Brewing but by name.

Smurfmacaw

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 01:45:12 PM »
Looks like you pretty much nailed it.  I like them gooey like that.  Have another cheese.

Mike

hoeklijn

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2013, 05:52:42 AM »
OMG, that's looking so nice. This will be on my schedule for Christmas...... And of course a cheese to you!