Too many little cracks and crevices to ever get clean enough to wax without mold growing under it , that will be even more of a problem.
Spray liberally with vinegar and clean it as good as possible , then use Tiarellas coconut oil rub , and just keep rubbing as the mold comes back to keep it in check.
That has worked for me , if it's a small make and you have to cut the rind of before eating due to the mold , you may not get that much out of it in the end.
My experience has been , Cheddar + mold = not good , most other cheeses like some mold on the rind , but cheddar , not so much.
I hope it turns out OK , but you may want to start another soon so you'll have one to fall back on.