Author Topic: Forgot to add PC culture  (Read 10502 times)

Shalloy

Forgot to add PC culture
« on: September 01, 2013, 12:53:53 AM »
I made some cams the other day and thought the flora Danica YV32 I used from my mad Millie cheese kit had PC in it. I've now realised it doesn't. My cheese has been in the maturation box for 4 days now. Am I able to spray some PC onto the surface as per the instructions in the wiki on this site or have I left it to late?

mjr522

Re: Forgot to add PC culture
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 12:59:45 AM »
I don't see any reason not to...I think I sprayed my last batch on day 3, though it might have been 4, even.  Go for it!

Shalloy

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 01:04:21 AM »
And how did they turn out Mike?

mjr522

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 02:14:19 AM »
They were pretty good--best ones I've made, but I haven't made any that are fantastic.  The next ones I make I will not spray until they are pretty dry (which will be about 3 days after making them).   I've got a couple of changes to try that I hope will improve them, but I don't think I'll get fantastic cheeses until I get better quality milk.

mbox

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 02:28:34 AM »
I made some cams the other day and thought the flora Danica YV32 I used from my mad Millie cheese kit had PC in it. I've now realised it doesn't. My cheese has been in the maturation box for 4 days now. Am I able to spray some PC onto the surface as per the instructions in the wiki on this site or have I left it to late?
They will be fine.
I think you will prefer to spray your camemberts in future , i spray pc & gc on all my Camemberts & Brie and they come out beautifully

Shalloy

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 02:51:41 AM »
Thanks gents, feel a lot better now.

Any suggestions for how much to spray on? I'm thinking just a couple of mists on the top, leaving it for a day to soak in then flipping them over and spraying the other side.

But should I repeat this or is one application usually enough?

mbox

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 02:57:39 AM »
Thanks gents, feel a lot better now.

Any suggestions for how much to spray on? I'm thinking just a couple of mists on the top, leaving it for a day to soak in then flipping them over and spraying the other side.

But should I repeat this or is one application usually enough?
Yes, i do it that way too - just a mist, i do that twice and i rub / spread it a bit with my hands ( wearing gloves) on the sides too

Shalloy

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 10:44:18 AM »
Thanks mbox will give that a crack. So the PC comes from the rind of a Camembert but where do you get the GC from?

mbox

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2013, 02:06:58 PM »
Thanks mbox will give that a crack. So the PC comes from the rind of a Camembert but where do you get the GC from?

they are both white molds usually the geo (GC) kicks in a bit earlier both of them are part of the rind's mold

Shalloy

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 08:47:07 PM »
How many days after spraying can I expect to see white mould forming?  I had them at 12C and 80% with the lid off so they could dry out a bit more, as there is still a bit of whey draining from them.
Afetr spraying them with the PC slurry they are in the box with the lid on and are at 10C and 90%.

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 08:51:58 PM »
It should start appearing around day 5 and with each daily flipping it will help spread the spores if you pat the white patches and then the other side where non is evident.
-Bill
One day I will add something here...

Shalloy

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 11:15:29 AM »
I already have a few small round patches of a white mould about 5 mm diameter with hairs about 2mm long.
Is this the start of the PC growing or is this another mould taking over?

Offline NimbinValley

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 7
  • Default personal text
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2013, 01:03:21 AM »
It could be PC.  You should get a uniform coverage within a couple of more days.  If it is only growing in areas just check that the cheese surface is not wet in some areas. If it hasn't completely covered the face within a couple of more days I would give it another spray.  With correct humidity and temperature it is very difficult to stop pc growing.

NV.

Shalloy

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2013, 09:46:26 PM »
what exactly is the best temperature and humidity? Ive been told or read 7-8C and 90-95% and also 11-15C and 85-90%.
My cheese is sort of tacky or greasy to touch. If I pick it up I end up with a slight greasyness on my fingers if that makes sense. And when I turn it over the bottom is wet where the whey is still draining out.

Here is a picture of how they look. I wiped that black spot with a cloth soaked in vinegar and then smeared the mould over the surface with my fingers.

Shalloy

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2013, 11:58:13 PM »
I should add that the slurry I made up to spray the cheese was from a Brie not camembert so I suppose that makes this cheese bries and not cams.