Author Topic: Saint Paulin...so good, let's do it again! (#2)  (Read 8015 times)

george

Re: Saint Paulin...so good, let's do it again! (#2)
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2013, 11:07:25 AM »
Also, I discovered with a batch of Reblochon that one does NOT want to wash longer than recommented - I did it only once because I didn't think it was colored up enough, and ended up with very very salty cheese that was only good as a very nice batch of Mary's Lazy Version of Tartiflette.  (Mary has a lazy version of everything.)  Was disappointed not to be able to eat it out of hand, though.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2013, 01:54:31 PM »
Good point, george. I've had a couple that were a little too salty because of overwashing.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

JimSteel

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2013, 09:46:40 PM »
Thanks Boof, I'll keep that in mind and go easy on the washing.  Will give it a shot at the 4 week mark.

So, you prefer to wash the lines to offer a number of benefits.  I think I'll try washing the rind as well, since I'll likely be vaccing mine up for christmas with the family.  Is this a standard procedure, or something you do because you don't like strong linens? (I know you mentioned linens in vac bag is a disaster)  Commercially, the cheeses I buy still look quite orange but are dry and sometimes covered with a whole bunch of other stuff.  I bought one once that looked like a brown burlap sack, texture and everything.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2013, 02:30:06 PM »
Jim, one of the Saint Paulins I made was orange and dry inside its vacuum bag. I had tinted it with straight, undiluted annatto to more closely match the style.

I've made a couple of Tommes that used mycodore as well as other cultures. Yeah, the rind went pretty rustic. Turned out pretty barnyardy and needed to be removed before enjoying the cheese. It had the character of dirt. :P

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

george

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2013, 10:46:11 AM »
Yeah, but it was probably really good dirt.   8)

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2013, 09:14:38 PM »
So nice to "see" you, Mary!!!!! 

Boofer, I've had some lovely Mycodore rinds that tasted great.  We'll have to wait though on the next flush of ripenings before we have enough data on Mycodore rinds......I have about 7 cheeses in a too humid chest freezer cave and the wild blue went rampant and only now is the Mycodore starting to come from behind.  I hope it can out compete the mustiness of the wild blue rug-style rinds.