Author Topic: Boofer's Buttermilk Blue  (Read 5521 times)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: Boofer's Buttermilk Blue
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2013, 01:08:28 PM »
Yeah, the lean came from too early unmoulding, I think. A little longer in the moulds and they would have been a little firmer from the get-go. Too anxious I was. :) It was the third cheese make that day and I was a little worn around the edges.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2013, 04:05:21 PM »
Can a blue cheese be too creamy? Yes, I believe so.  ???

My Fourme d'Ambert was creamy, but it also allowed for a few gas/mechanical openings so that the blue had somewhere to colonize & congregate. This Buttermilk Blue apparently had few openings for the PR to occupy. The piercing canals filled with a little blue and white and became firm "rods" down through the paste. I had attempted to follow the original piercing paths the three times I pierced. I will reconsider that if I attempt this again. Perhaps a fresh path for piercing would find a small chamber for the PR. It would also not reinforce the original piercing path and create those firm "rods".

If I were to remake this cheese, I would modify my make to include a longer collander drain period to remove more of the moisture. That would allow for the formation of voids in the paste.

Although the bluing was lighter than expected, the flavor and creaminess were above par. Very tasty.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2013, 04:53:58 PM »
Boofer, boy that does look sooooooo creamy numnumnum :P
A cheese to you even with the noted imperfections  ;D
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

High Altitude

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2013, 07:41:39 PM »
I don't care for blue cheeses (they frankly scare me), but I would not be able to keep myself from trying that ultra-creamy piece of art, Boof!

A cheese to you  ;D

JeffHamm

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2013, 09:17:23 PM »
A cheese to you Boofer!  That is a wonderful looking creamy blue.  I know you were looking for more veining and all, but that does look good.  And if the blue flavour is mild, this would be an ideal cheese to introduce people to the blues.  Vanessa never cared for blues until I made a semi-lactic blue, which also didn't have any cavities for veining and only blued along the piercings, but it had a great texture and flavour.  She's now quite a fan of blue cheese.  I suspect yours will win some over as well.

- Jeff