Author Topic: The Leaning Stilton of Eccles  (Read 6850 times)

graysalchemy

The Leaning Stilton of Eccles
« on: September 04, 2013, 10:01:50 AM »
Well I have been lurking around here for a while. For ages I have been banging on about wanting to make a stilton cheese to go with my 20 yr old bottle of elderberry port I have. So on monday I took the plunge

I sort of followed a recipe from here, but using 12 pints of milk.

Now I did pay to much attention to times  ;) so I don't know how it will turn out but it looks like cheese smells of cheese and probably tastes of cheese.  ;D

I took it out of its mould last night and because it was a tall narrow cheese and probably to soon to take out of the mold it has become the 'Leaning Stilton of Eccles'

But it looks like cheese smells of cheese and probably tastes of cheese.

Two days on and it still seems a bit wet but firm.

Thanks for taking time to look at my creation.  :)

shotski

Re: The Leaning Stilton of Eccles
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 10:07:10 AM »
Nice cheese graysalchemy, I would try to get it back into the mould. If memory serves me correct it should be in the mould 5 days turning 2 times a day.

graysalchemy

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 10:11:26 AM »
Ah I thought as much  :(

I will give it a try

Thanks

graysalchemy

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 10:18:56 AM »
Just put it back in its mould.

I is wet and quite squidgy like it is retaining a lot of moisture.

I suppose not paying attention to the times and science while probably be my downfall.  :(

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 10:45:03 AM »
Hi Gray,  I'm assuming from your use of the word "squidgy" that you are from Manchester, England?  Am I correct?  We have lots of Manchesters in the US also.  I tried some elderberry wine that was made during US prohibition in 1926.  It was 1979 that I found it so quite aged.  It was in a hidden (illegal) wine cellar in the basement of a house I rented a room in when I was 19 or 20. (I'm NOT doing math before I've even had my tea!). The wine was very smooth and lovely.  Some of the apple wine also discovered was more like high proof turpentine. 

I had found the wine cellar during a bit of plumbing repair I was doing.  Tracing the pipes in the basement looking for a shutoff I realized there was a concealed room when the pipes I was tracing disappeared from view.  Kind of a neat adventure!

graysalchemy

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 10:57:45 AM »
I am indeed, I didn't know Squidgy was a mancunian colloquial  ;D

My elderberry port was made 20 yrs ago and I have never got round to drinking it, all noticeable events and birthday have passed me by for a few years at least.

Apple wine can be nice but IMHO it is best made into cider.

Great story about the wine, perhaps I should just leave mine somewhere for someone to find one day.

However my main brewing activities are mainly beer related including Elderberry Stout, which at 8.5% is  definitely a supping beer. I usually frequent Thehomebrewforum.co.uk, but my midlife crisis and quest for culinary delights has made me venture further afield.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 03:55:05 PM »
I'm glad you made it here in your culinary wanderings!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 08:57:09 PM by Tiarella »

Geodyne

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 08:43:02 PM »
Leaning or not you're right, it looks like cheese! I'm pleased you got it back into the form. I'm planning to try my first stilton soon.

I think squidgy is a UK colloquial term rather than purely Mancunian because I heard it a lot in Cambridge, but I've learned a lot of Mancs terms over the years. My husband is from Sale and has exported words like "oos" (us) and "stoof" all over the world.  ;)

The elderberry port sounds fabulous. I used to try my hand at elderberry wine and champagne while in the UK but had to leave it all with a friend when I moved, along with the bumper crop of sloe gin and vodka-soaked morello cherries. That took some willpower.

graysalchemy

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 08:10:32 AM »
My husband is from Sale and has exported words like "oos" (us) and "stoof" all over the world.  ;)

Small world thats were I live  ;D

I bet he ain't found an arf decent barm for his chip butties yet though  :D :D

Geodyne

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 10:35:21 AM »
Small world indeed! Great place Sale, I've spent an awful lot of time there.

We've never been chip butty type of people - but I've spent a fair bit of time in Captain Cod!

graysalchemy

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 11:41:22 AM »
Small world indeed! Great place Sale, I've spent an awful lot of time there.

After going in The Steam House  ;) ;)

It appears Sale is the centre of the universe after all. Often wondered what the attraction to Manchester is for Australians?............ Can't be the weather.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 11:51:57 AM by graysalchemy »

Geodyne

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 12:11:04 PM »
Hah, I can't tell you. I lived in Cambridge and met DH there. In fact I have to say I've not met a single other Australian while visiting Manchester.

graysalchemy

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2013, 07:54:13 AM »
Well It has been a week now and The leaning Stilton of Eccles has shown more signs of structural instability

and....................

It is turning BLUE

Well only slightly but it is a start.

Geodyne

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2013, 08:25:28 AM »
It's fabulous. It's the funkiest stilton I've even seen. I'll bet it'll taste great when the time comes though.

I made a couple of (short) stiltons on the weekend. Will post pics in due course.

graysalchemy

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2013, 08:30:38 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement  :D

I am definitely going to enjoy it.

Going to get another one on again soon in readiness for Christmas.  :)