Author Topic: pneumatic press questions  (Read 3027 times)

Offline Just Plain Fred

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 3
  • Default personal text
Re: pneumatic press questions
« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2014, 05:33:59 PM »
Hello all,

Since i started this thread, thought that i should post some results ... Been making "Farmstead Cheddar"  and wanted to post some "pics" of the press in action. Also ..thought it would be of some benefit to post a few shots of my homemade "Cheese Cave"  I made this out of one sheet of 1/2" foam board and some pine "1x2"and 1x4" .. The shelves are cut down wire  20" X 12' from local "big box store" I left the bottom open to be able to "grab" the cool basement floor temps ... The "front door" is just a press fit piece of the same foam board material.. I installed a thermocouple to monitor the temps and after a few days, the temp is now at 57° F .... I'll post the results of the cut cheese after a month or so to see if the 75psi  final pressure ( 20hrs) was enough to form a nice "tight" cheddar...Regards Fred

PS: The "air tank" is a spare HVAC refrigerant recovery tank that i had and charged to approx 125psi ...seems more than enough to process with all the required "flips" of the cheese  during the pressing

Guests, join the CheeseForum.org community to remove this ad.

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2014, 05:54:16 PM »
How do you keep the cave cool? did I miss something ???
act as if it were impossible to fail.

Offline Just Plain Fred

• Medium Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #62 on: May 05, 2014, 06:06:47 PM »
H-K-J,

Hello... I left the bottom of the "Cheese Cave" open ...My basement cement floor (Closet)  is at around 57° F ...So after closing up the cave ..the temp will stay around the floor temp ..After a few days the floor temp will stabilize the cave temp... Regards Fred

Offline Just Plain Fred

• Medium Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2014, 06:12:38 PM »
Hello all,
 Wanted to show the results for a "Farmstead Cheddar" ..This is a 4 gallon ( approx 4 lbs)  recipe using a 6" mold ...The pressure schedule was scaled  up ( per Jim Wallace advice...)  from the original ( 4" mold 12.5 sq ") to reflect the increased area (PSI)  for a 6" mold ( approx 28sq ") as follows

60 minutes @ 22Lbs
3 Hours      @ 56 Lbs 
24 Hours    @ 168 Lbs

The pictures show the internal cheese density ...small voids, looked just like the results from my 4" mold (2 gallon recipe) ..A few  days drying , salt washing , waxing ..and off to the cave for a month..let ya-all know how it tastes  Regards Fred

Offline John@PC

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 23
  • Default personal text
    • Perfect Cheese
« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2014, 05:07:53 PM »
I'm catching up on posts and I came upon this one and did one of those double takes  ???.  I saw Fred's new cave and then H-J-K's question.  I went back to Fred's picture and realized his cave is insulated on all sides (3/4" extruded styrofoam??) but is "bottomless".   I have to give him a cheese for his ingenuity for his "passive cave" (or insulated igloo) that utilizes the cool basement floor to stabilize the temperature. 

Guests, join the CheeseForum.org community to remove this ad.