Author Topic: pneumatic press questions  (Read 17794 times)

artguy

Re: pneumatic press questions
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2014, 09:22:46 PM »
Here is my scale model minus the cylinder!

John@PC

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2014, 10:34:22 PM »
I looked at the picture before reading the text and was thinking "what tha...? :o"  Very "architectural", not to mention artistic.  Good luck on the project.

artguy

« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2014, 11:12:58 PM »
Thanks.  Incorporate the extra length on the side like you did.  Good idea for making space to mount the regulator and valve.  Thanks for letting me borrow the idea.  Going to make it fixed height.  WIll allow me to make 1lb-5 lb wheel.  Plenty for me considering all my other hobbies and the fact that we just had our first child.  Needless to say.  The budget wont allow me to make massive quantities of cheese. Thanks again for the help and inspiration

artguy

« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2014, 03:32:07 PM »
What "type" for valve do I need to get to control the doul acting piston.  There are a lot of different types. 5/2, 5/3, 2/3, 4/2 etc...  Some have 4 ports and others have threes.  Some are listed as two way.  UG!  So confusing.  Any guidance?  Sont need anything quite like the hand valve youhave.  Just going to have a switch and use the flow control elbows on the air hoses.

Cheers

Just Plain Fred

« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2014, 06:52:25 PM »
artguy,

Hello... OK I'll try to give a quick "Splain it to me lucy"..

The "Air valve " that you need to run this type of cylinder (Dual stroke)  is a Valve that has three positions...
1. Off Center position ...Need this so you valve off the air supply from cylinder... various reasons

2. "Up" to make the cylinder retract ...either "A or B " outputs

3. "Down" to advance the piston to press mode. 

PS: Use  the valve....it's a "no brainer" and does not cost much

Regards Fred

Here is a link to a good place to look for a valve and assorted parts Parts

artguy

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2014, 07:41:56 PM »
ok so a 4 port three position valve?  1/4" npt?

Just Plain Fred

« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2014, 09:21:38 PM »
Artguy,

Hello... Yes ...if you want 1\4" ports....Regards Fred

artguy

« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2014, 04:14:47 AM »
Sweet thanks!  Your going to have to send me your mailing address when this is all done so I can send you one of my hand made mugs as a thank you!  You're awesome!

artguy

« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2014, 06:26:07 PM »
Cool.  Thanks for the website.  Great resource.  Good prices too.  I was looking on ebay instead but I am buying everything from these guys.  Anywho I noticed you have a seperate pressure gage on the top of the cylinder.  Is that because the combo one you have on the incoming has a range of 20-130psi?  Trying to figure out if I want to buy that one from automation direct or spend the extra money and get a wider range on the low end.  I am wondering that if I am using a portable tank for my air source, and I prime it to say 6 psi and open the incoming regulator to its minimum 20 psi, the 6 psi will pass through and exert 6 psi onto the cylinder.

Just Plain Fred

« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2014, 12:01:18 AM »
artguy,

Hello... The pressure gauge ( 0 > 60 PSI ) that i used was to make it easier to apply the correct "PSI" to the mold ..The 20 > 130 PSI regulator is too course for fine adjustments . Example...  For a 4 " mold \ with 4" follower = 12.5 sq " .... Typical press schedule ( so I'm told for Cheddar) ...12 # 45 minutes, 18 # 120 minutes, 40 # 5 hours.... Would be translate (for a 2 " cylinder)...

1.  4 # 45 minutes

2.  6 # 120 minutes

3.  13 # 5 hours 

You need to have more pressure in your storage tank ... Say 100 PSI  (so the regulator can work) .. this is important so the regulator can maintain the set pressure as the cylinder extends as the cheese ( curds)  compress ... This is the main advantage of having this type of setup... You know that the pressure is always ( constant) what you set it to.... I also use a portable "Air Tank" pressurized to approx 125 PSI.. The regulator won't work if there is not enough input pressure....

Hey !... send me a ticket ...i will work for Pizza and beer ;)...Regards Fred

« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 12:09:02 AM by Just Plain Fred »

artguy

« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2014, 01:40:09 AM »
so you discovered that you needed a pressure guage for finer tuning adjustments on the cylinder for pressures under 20psi.  Is the pressure gauge only measuring the incoming psi on the cylinder and you are adjusting accordingly on the <20<130PSI regulator? 

Just Plain Fred

« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2014, 02:09:50 AM »
artguy,

Hello... Yes... you are correct ( although the regulator gauge measures the output not the input )  ... I have the 60# pressure gauge setup on the "advance piston" side ...so i can fine tune the "Main Input Regulator" ...It's not sensitive enough  (small gauge) can't read low pressures.. So with a 60#(  2 1\2 "full scale )  gauge i can see\set small pressures required . ..Regards Fred

artguy

« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2014, 02:34:04 AM »
cool.  So I am going to purchase this one that is 20-130 psi.  And since the input doesnt matter, I can put adequate pressure in the portable tank, add a scondary dial on the cylinders input and turn the adjustment knob on the regulator until the secondary dial reads the appropriate psi.  So even the the regulator is rate 20-130 I can puch through say 6psi?

the model number for it on automation direct is

AFR-2233-M

Just Plain Fred

« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2014, 11:57:27 AM »
artguy,

Hello.... Yes ..I have done this testing the setup. Just back the regulator off all the way and then advance it slowly. With the 3 way valve set to  "Advance  Piston" watch the 2 1\2 " gauge ... Don't forget to pressure test your setup ( all positions) once everything is connected ...let it under pressure overnight (Activate cylinder to press on something..Then  valve lever to center...Off) .There should be no discernible change in the pressure as read on the gauge... Remember that when actually pressing that the air supply needs to be connected and the valve set for "Press mode" so that the regulator can adjust itself as the curds squeeze down... One other thing...you will (might want) need to switch around the input \ output of that regulator.. Mine came with the small gauge on the wrong side for my application, Not sure about the one you have  ... can be done with a screwdriver...

Regards Fred
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 02:31:32 PM by Just Plain Fred »

artguy

« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2014, 02:34:09 AM »
Well all the parts are ordered and on their way! The portable air tank is finished as well.  I ordered a coiled polyurethane hose with quick disconnects to connect it to the regulator.  Ended up finding a small regulator with trap on ebay that new and goes 0-160 psi with a fairly detailed dial. Now I am having the darndest time finding a fitting for the end of my cylinder rod.  they said it is a #8 5/8 x 18 unf.  Would love to have like a closed in coupler or something that looks like the shape of an upside down thumb tack.  Any thoughts?