Author Topic: pneumatic press questions  (Read 17815 times)

Just Plain Fred

Re: pneumatic press questions
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2014, 12:47:19 PM »
artguy,

Hello... The thread on my cylinder ( rod) is 1\2 x 20 UNF and the "coupler" was machined from 304 stainless steel ... the large  piece was from a 2 1\2 " round stock, ( see previous pic's #20 ) and the connector from 3\4 " round stock drilled and tapped for the 1\2 x 20 UNF  thread. The large 2 1\2 " round is fastened to the 3\4" piece on one end with a 1\4X 20  SS flathead screw..could be welded ..figured best to attach with the screw so i can switch to a larger than 2 1\2" if needed... Regards Fred

John@PC

« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2014, 12:01:30 AM »
The portable air tank is finished as well.... Now I am having the darndest time finding a fitting for the end of my cylinder rod.  they said it is a #8 5/8 x 18 unf.  Would love to have like a closed in coupler or something that looks like the shape of an upside down thumb tack.  Any thoughts?
Fred has probably the "best" solution but if you're on a budget if it were me I would get something like a 1/2" thick square aluminum bar, maybe 2" x 2" or so and drill and tap a hole in the center.  You can screw this "pusher" onto the cylinder rod end and use a jam nut at the top to secure it.  If you're concerned with having exposed threads and hole just fill in with silicone.

That said that is some nice artwork on the air tank  ^-^

artguy

« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2014, 04:30:18 PM »
Howdy Fred
I tested out the pneumatics last night.  The gauge on the air tank registered a loss of 2.5 psi over the course of 12 hours.  Is that something to worry about or is that pretty good?  Also are air cylinder rods usually pretty finicky if they don't get to plunge straight down?  I notice that if Mine gets pressed slightly to the side it looses its seal and air just blasts out the position lever.

jwalker

« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2014, 05:07:09 PM »
Howdy Fred
I tested out the pneumatics last night.  The gauge on the air tank registered a loss of 2.5 psi over the course of 12 hours.  Is that something to worry about or is that pretty good?  Also are air cylinder rods usually pretty finicky if they don't get to plunge straight down?  I notice that if Mine gets pressed slightly to the side it looses its seal and air just blasts out the position lever.

It might be a good idea to put a small amount  of lubricant in the cylinder , maybe some vegetable oil , if the seals get too dry they tend to leak.

Just Plain Fred

« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2014, 07:03:53 PM »
artguy,

Hello.. There is no way ...other than pressure testing and using a "leak detecting fluid" ( you can use "Windex" in a pinch )to ascertain where the "leak" is ... if you are not using a gauge on your setup ( see pic in # 20) As i have previously stated with pressure on the cylinder and pressing on something ...i have no discernible leaking ( overnight tests with valve center position .."Off")..I have not tried to "press sideways" on the cylinder rod. ( also i have a different cylinder) Make sure that you have the "Valve" connected correctly .... the "P" is the pressure input, A & B are outputs...If you connect it some other way ...it will leak. If everything is OK there should be no air leaks....    Regards Fred

PS: If you have enough air capacity ( your tank)  loosing a few pounds of pressure won't be a problem, as the regulator will adjust for this anyway.

John@PC

« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2014, 11:28:45 PM »
PS: If you have enough air capacity ( your tank)  loosing a few pounds of pressure won't be a problem, as the regulator will adjust for this anyway.
Ditto that.  If the regulator pressure is dropping then that would be something to check out.  There will always be small leaks in the system (cylinder seals primarily) but a loss of 2.5 doesn't seem unreasonable.  As far as deflection of the rod I would be willing to guess that the seal leakage occurs at the bottom extent of the cylinder?  Are you just letting the cylinder extend fully and then pushing the rod sideways?  If so that's a no-no unless you have a cylinder with guide rods or linear bearings.  It looks like you have a long cylinder and you should be fine if you don't extend beyond 2/3 of the travel.

artguy

« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2014, 01:08:12 AM »
ok here it is on its maiden voyage!  Still waiting on getting my drip tray for the whey cut on the cnc.  But here it is and its working great!  Thanks for all the help Fred!!!

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2014, 01:49:47 AM »
Now that is nice 8)
ACTU  ;D
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

cowboycheese

« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2014, 02:06:50 AM »
Great job! I'm getting the bug myself and hope to start my own build as soon as the weather warms up a bit in my workshop. I've found it hard to weld when it is -4 out there.

A cheese for you!

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2014, 03:26:30 PM »
I've found it hard to weld when it is -4 out there.
I agree, It is -15 deg F. with a wind chill at -33 SUCKS!!!  :(
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

cowboycheese

« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2014, 08:51:56 PM »
artguy

What did you paint/coat your frame with? It looks like 2" square steel tubing with an epoxy or powder coat on it. Nice work.
I'm debating the need for SS over cheaper steel - if I can get a good hard powder coat or similar on it then the material costs will be much cheaper.

I'm making my parts list now - can't wait for warmer welding friendly weather.

John@PC

« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2014, 01:02:36 AM »
Great job with the press and that quality of workmanship is certainly worth a cheese.  Can't wait to see the "real" one!  ^-^.  You have patience and an eye for detail which should make you a good cheese maker.  I'm afraid I suffer from the jwalker's "look, a squirrel" syndrome.  It may not always make for the best cheese but it does make life interesting  ;D.

artguy

« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2014, 02:14:19 AM »
Hi Cowboy.  I used the aged copper Rustoleum with 2 coats of clear gloss enamel over top.  :)

Cheers

jwalker

« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2014, 02:43:58 PM »
Art , you're an Artist ! ;D

A Cheez to you for that , very nice !

cowboycheese

« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2014, 11:23:53 PM »
artguy

Now that you have had some time to play with your new press... Is there anything about it that you think you would have done differently on the design? I'm getting ready to go get the materials.

I also asked my cousin about milling the drip tray - that might have to wait a while as his current work is a bit consuming ATM.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 11:30:30 PM by cowboycheese »