Author Topic: Brie, pH not reduced. The problem is?  (Read 5065 times)

svetlen

Brie, pH not reduced. The problem is?
« on: September 04, 2013, 02:09:24 PM »
Hi, I am a beginner Syrodel. Now doing brie cheese, used leaven MS 50 Genesis of Bulgaria (composition identical to that of 100 MM) 60 grams of 5000 litres. On 9 liters of milk added 0.13 grams. Drain pH 6.5, and 3 hours drainage has not changed still serum pH 6.5. What is the problem ?
Sorry for my English language I don't know, I use translator, Yandex. :-[

linuxboy

Re: Brie, pH not reduced. The problem is?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 02:38:27 PM »
You can write in Russian or Ukrainian here if that's easier.

Few possible causes
- Old starter (has the MS50 worked before for you?)
- Temperature wrong (too low or too high)
- Phage infection leading to bacterial death

I would wait and see if the acidity eventually drops. keep temperature at least 26 C.

svetlen

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 06:57:34 PM »
Эту закваску использую второй раз, первый был сыр Хаварти и рН понижался нормально. Температура помещения 78-80F, начальный рН 6.6.Температура молока при созревании была 89.2-89.6F, продолжительность  30 минут. Потом добавила сычуг, флоокуляция 24мин *6=1час 44минуты. Нарезала вертикально 2.5-3 см, отдых 10мин. Потом аккуратно мешала и резала полосы на кубы 2.5-3см в течении 15минут, температура 88F, в конце рН 6.5. Затем еще 30 минут при той же температуре иногда помешивая, каждые 10 минут проверяла рН 6.5. Слила сыворотку и положила творог в формы. Через 3.5 часа и два переворота рН 6.4, температура в помещении 75F. Прошло еще 3 часа в одной форме рН сыворотки 6.2, а в другой рН6.3, температура 71F. Планировала вынести на ночь вынести на балкон, где температура 68F и будет падать до 56F. Но наверное лучше оставить в комнате, чтобы рН успел достаточно понизиться. Завтра мне уходить на работу, на целый день и утром хотела посолить.

linuxboy

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 07:24:08 PM »
That's within the range of normal. Use more starter next time to fix the issue. It is a slow acidifier. Also try to keep the curds warm if you want acidification to move faster. 71F is rather low, the acid will take a while to develop. If you want it to go faster next time, ripen a little longer and use more starter. Do not take it outside, it is too cold. Your ambient room temp should ideally be 75F or higher for a traditional, slow acidifier.

svetlen

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 08:00:11 PM »
Большое спасибо, за советы :) перенесла в комнату 75F, до 7 утра. Сейчас один рН 5.8, второй рН 5.9.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 08:17:21 PM by svetlen »

svetlen

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 10:22:28 AM »
Hi, today is the 9th day of my two brie. They are very poorly covered with mold. The first four days the temperature 14-16 C, mould on one brie side and almost nothing on the top and bottom, second brie even on the sides only a faint hint of the mold. Still tucked in a wine refrigerator temperature of 10-13C. Now after 5 days in the refrigerator, one brie though weak and not fully, but is covered with mold, and other brie only side , and the top appeared a little orange. Humidity in the container 75-80 no longer results.

linuxboy

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 05:37:44 PM »
Uneven mold covering is possibly due to:

- Moisture gradient with different surface aW levels, due to draining or curd size issues
- Outright pH variations within the curd, often these are from salt/temp variances
- humidity issues in the cave. should be 95%+
- air movement. Mold cannot tolerate wetness. Needs oxygen and for the cheese surface to not be wet.
- inoculation rate. might not be enough mold spores on some surfaces.

It's not too bad. I bet if you let it be for another 2-5 days it will cover over completely.

svetlen

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 01:41:50 PM »
Yes, indeed, over 4 days completely and there are several spots of pink, very small. One wiped with a toothpick and this place has not overgrown. Now 5 days cheeses lie in the wine refrigerator on the cold shelf at the temperature 5-10 C. All I would hope they are obtained.

High Altitude

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2013, 12:41:53 AM »
They look amazing now, Svetlen!  Very nice job  ;D.

I will start a camembert next week and also fear I will have slow PC growth as you did.  It seems as if I cannot grow the things I want to grow in my "cave"  (like b.linens on my port salut  ???).  But I will hope for the best and do as you did...wait, wait, wait...it WILL eventually happen.

Please post photos when you cut these open!  Excited to see them.

svetlen

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 05:21:43 PM »

Hi! Today, 35 days from the start cooking my brie  prescription  http://www.cheesemaking.com/store/pg/22-Brie.html, on the 20th day wrapped in paper. I could not resist and decided to cut and taste one of them. After 10 days covering mold, this brie spent 24 days in a wine refrigerator at a temperature of 40-52F (5-11C). I finally see the right texture and thin skin, taste a bit salty, but I think so. For me it is still a great success. The second brie lies in the refrigerator at a stable temperature of 5С to long maturing.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 06:54:43 PM by svetlen »

linuxboy

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2013, 05:50:21 PM »
You did great! Sometimes, the aging takes time.

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2013, 06:08:13 PM »
Very nice looking cheese :)
I have only tried one Brie (about a month ago) it was disappointing, then I read that it should be set out to warm up for a minimum of 45 minutes.
I let it sit out for 1-1/2 hours, what a difference that made.
your cheese looks just like the one we tried,
a cheese to you for your great looking cheese (I think you nailed it)
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

svetlen

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2013, 06:38:58 PM »
Thank you! It was not that long, previous cheese on day 46 of just 1cm soft and solid middle, a lot of crust . But it was the wrong recipe from our sources. I am very happy finding this wealth of recipes and a lot of useful information forum.
 See my one of the first failures of many of the crust and absolutely solid inside bitterly, not brie.

High Altitude

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2013, 07:35:38 PM »
Just beautiful Svetlen! A cheese to you for your 35-day Brie  ;D!

I also think the "failure" looks good too, but doesn't sound like you were happy with the texture (and taste?) and that's what matters...that YOU like it!

Congrats...

svetlen

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2013, 02:07:16 PM »
My second brie who was in the refrigerator at a temperature of 5 C, wrapped in paper. Tasting 48 day, well, very tasty. Tastier than the first one and more plastic.