Author Topic: Tweaking the thermostat on a mini fridge, no external controller needed!  (Read 45687 times)

Offline steffb503

• Catskill Mts, NY State, USA
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
    • M & S Farm
Re: Tweaking the thermostat on a mini fridge, no external controller needed!
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2011, 10:27:30 AM »
That's why I bought the full fridge. My good friend is in heating and AC he advised against an external thermometer if i had a freezer. The life expectancy of it would be short.

Cheese Head

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2011, 10:52:41 AM »
steffb, all fridges cycle on/off, that's the way they work, any back to this threads topic, I still have to try kkey's adjustment of the thermostat's scalibration screw.

Offline steffb503

• Catskill Mts, NY State, USA
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
    • M & S Farm
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2011, 11:16:01 AM »
Yes but without the freezer there is no need for it to try to get the temp down in the freezer every time you turn it on.
The fridge only models do not care what temp they cool to, like a wine cooler.

Offline MacGruff

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 23
  • Default personal text
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2011, 12:32:06 AM »
I just received a Sanyo dorm fridge from my son who is no longer using it as he moved to a rental house. While it is a Sanyo, it is a different model than the one your used and when I took the box apart, I found a slightly different mechanism in it. The main different was - no adjustment screw!

Putting it in service at the lowest level closest to the OFF setting produced an internal temperature of 48 degrees.

Since there is no internal screw, anyone have any ideas? Also, it has a small freezer compartment (for ice cubes, I assume) so I am worried about humidity levels as well. Anyone got any ideas - without buying a different controller?

Thanks!

dsuits

Here is a cautionary tale of doing this.

Reading the instructions someone posts very carefully is very important and is something I did not.  I took out my Thermostat to make an adjustment and could not find the adjustment screw on the top.  I said to my self...self lets look at this screw on the bottom. I have to stop listening to my little voices, but anyway I tried the screw at the bottom and it fell out.  I thought I had put it back in but it was not.  My Fridge turned into a freezer, cheese was saved before this happened.

The screw on the bottom connects to a spring that moves a plate inside the thermostat that turns the fridge off.  Mine would not turn off.  I ended up pulling the whole thermostat including the probe out of the fridge.  I had to take the thermostat apart and reconnect the screw to the spring that attaches to the plate.  I then put it back together and when I went to put it back in the fridge and hook everything back up, the probe snapped off the thermostat.

I now have to send $12 to the manufacturer and they will mail a replacement thermostat to me, well they will when I send the money after the postal strike ends in Canada.

I have been using my fridge like a cooler, using ice to maintain the temperature.  I have a new wine fridge that I am using now too(early father's day gift), but I will get the part for the old fridge.

Let my stupidity be a tool for learning.  Oh  I found the adjustment screw, it was covered.

As it turns out I need a replacement thermostat like this, you said you got it from the manufacturer, do you still have a name, address, phone, URL or such?

mpablate

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2017, 11:36:25 AM »
I don't have any fridge but planning to buy one this month, reading these comments educate me a lot about handling fridges........ Thanks

phin

About how many turns did you take yours?  I have the same one, i did about a single turn and it still seems to be getting super cold even at the 1 setting.