Author Topic: Caving a combined fridge/freezer  (Read 2636 times)

Homecheesejack

Caving a combined fridge/freezer
« on: September 05, 2013, 09:20:27 AM »
I have a 10-yr old combined fridge (top) freezer (bottom) sitting in my garage. We use it lots for the freezer, but barely at all for the fridge - so I'm looking to turn that part into a cheese cave.
Does anyone have experience doing this, or is it even possible? I guess my main worry is that by using equipment to override the fridge's regulator, I'm going to damage (ruin) the freezer.
Grateful for any thoughts.
Jack.

hoeklijn

Re: Caving a combined fridge/freezer
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 03:09:22 PM »
Will only work when it has 2 compressors IMHO. That way you have the whole system divided into two parts, from which you can use the fridge part as a cave.
But then you must find a way to control the temperature on the fridge. Normally that is done by an external thermostate in which you plugin the power for the fridge: Temperature ok, no power, temperature too high: power is on and the fridge will cool...

Homecheesejack

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 05:20:47 PM »
Thanks Herman, I am investigating whether I have one or two compressors and will take it from there.

Really grateful for the feedback,

Jack

fabian

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 12:32:30 PM »
I use a Love temperature switch model TSS2 to control the temperature. it works great. Your problem will be that you have to connect the main (and only) plug to the Love switch and the probe will make the whole unit stop when it reach the temp you had set.

whatisboom

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 07:33:21 PM »
I know this thread is long dead, but for anyone else that ends up here...

If you're a little comfortable taking a few panels off the inside, there is usually a fan that blows cold air from the freezer into the refrigerator section. if you use an external temperature controller, you can extend the wires from the fan and break that connection there, rather than cutting power to the whole unit. This will leave the freezer operating normally, and allow you to adjust the fridge temp with the controller.