Author Topic: Cantal questions  (Read 849 times)

MrsKK

Cantal questions
« on: April 06, 2014, 02:05:41 AM »
So I've finally gotten around to making this for the first time.  It is in the press at 125 lbs right now.  I like the smell of it and the flavor of the curds when I milled them after the 24 hours under lighter pressure.

So, what does this cheese taste like when it has aged?  How much of a difference is there between 3 months of aging and 6 months?

Has anyone made ricotta from the whey?  The milk I used was very creamy and the whey was very milky looking when drained off.  I'm currently cooking down maple syrup and didn't feel like cooking the entire 3 plus gallons of whey, so I skimmed off the top gallon and a half, where the cream had risen.  So far, it looks like it will be a high yield (comparatively) of ricotta.

Sailor Con Queso

Re: Cantal questions
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 01:48:49 PM »
Cantal gets much better with age. Big difference between a 3 month and a 6 month. The whey makes great ricotta.

MrsKK

Re: Cantal questions
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 03:04:16 AM »
I got almost as much ricotta from a gallon and a half of the "top" whey from this cantal as I did from the 3+ gallons of whey from mozzarella earlier last week.

So, what does cantal taste like? 

I've been pressing it at 150 lbs since this morning.  It is getting quite small - maybe 4 inches tall? - and is very heavy for its size.  The rind has some defect - more crinkling than anything, but I think it is knitting well.  It sure feels solid.